Help with school list! Low GPA, high MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigi.g0723

Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished my semester post bac and am trying to formulate a school list for medical school. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help. Below are my stats:

1. Undergraduate cGPA: 3.1, sGPA: 2.96, post bac: 4.0. With postbac combined with undergrad I should have 3.2 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA. I had an upward trend my last year and a half of undergrad. Last 50 hrs of undergrad were all higher level science courses and I got 4.0. For my post bac I took 30 hrs of upper level science courses and also got a 4.0.

2. 519 MCAT

3. I am a URM, low SES, first gen HS and college grad

4. Research: 3 years and 600 hrs in two psychology labs, 2 publications.

5. Supplemental Instructor for 3 years for 1,120 hrs helping 300 students every semester in Biology, A&P, Animal physiology and History.
I also helped as a lead tutor in ochem 120 hrs for a professor who I got a LOR from.

6. Clinical experience: Worked at a summer internship for a neuro optometrist for 300 hrs, then as a scribe for 2 years 1450 hrs.

7. Clinical volunteer: same health clinic for 2 years for 500 hrs helping underrepresented minority and homeless citizens.

8. Volunteer: 300 hrs at a domestic violence clinic for 2 years as a camp counselor and an intern. I also traveled to Tennesee and Louisiana for 2 weeks annually to help with children health and housing insecurity.

9. Shadowing: shadowed 3 doctors for 36 hours each: total of 109 hrs. Child psychiatrist, OB/GYN, and family doctor.

10. Extra-curriculars: I was a part of YA book club at my local B&N and volunteered reading for children monthly as well as read a monthly book of interest. Did about 100 hrs, 3 years.

I also played volleyball and was a member for 2 years, 200 hrs.

I was a co-founder of a fundraiser for homelessness. My best friend and I created a fundraising volleyball tournament where we hosted 15 teams and raised about $2,000.

I was a founding member of CHAARG, a club on campus to help empowers women through mental health stability and fitness. Did 100 hrs for a year.

11. LOR: 2 from MD- one from my scribing position and the other from my volunteer health clinic. 1 school committee letter, 1 from my ochem professor whom I tutored for(who is also on the committee team), 1 from my lab coordinator, and one from my animal physiology professor whom I was a supplemental instructor for 6 months. They all know me very well!

I had a rough patch in the beginning of my undergrad due to my mom's illness and lack of resources. I had to work full time for 2 years to help aid my mom in her medication expenses. It was a rough time in our lives, but after finding financial help for my mom, I had the opportunity to stop working and focus on school full time. I tried tying my application to my story as best as I could.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ?
Hello, I am Hispqnic and I do speak fluent Spanish. It was my first language. I am currently residing in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your Texas schools
For AMCAS schools you could try these:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Kaiser
Also apply to your Texas DO schools-TCOM, Sam Houston State and UIWSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I just finished my semester post bac and am trying to formulate a school list for medical school. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help. Below are my stats:

1. Undergraduate cGPA: 3.1, sGPA: 2.96, post bac: 4.0. With postbac combined with undergrad I should have 3.2 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA. I had an upward trend my last year and a half of undergrad. Last 50 hrs of undergrad were all higher level science courses and I got 4.0. For my post bac I took 30 hrs of upper level science courses and also got a 4.0.

2. 519 MCAT

3. I am a URM, low SES, first gen HS and college grad

4. Research: 3 years and 600 hrs in two psychology labs, 2 publications.

5. Supplemental Instructor for 3 years for 1,120 hrs helping 300 students every semester in Biology, A&P, Animal physiology and History.
I also helped as a lead tutor in ochem 120 hrs for a professor who I got a LOR from.

6. Clinical experience: Worked at a summer internship for a neuro optometrist for 300 hrs, then as a scribe for 2 years 1450 hrs.

7. Clinical volunteer: same health clinic for 2 years for 500 hrs helping underrepresented minority and homeless citizens.

8. Volunteer: 300 hrs at a domestic violence clinic for 2 years as a camp counselor and an intern. I also traveled to Tennesee and Louisiana for 2 weeks annually to help with children health and housing insecurity.

9. Shadowing: shadowed 3 doctors for 36 hours each: total of 109 hrs. Child psychiatrist, OB/GYN, and family doctor.

10. Extra-curriculars: I was a part of YA book club at my local B&N and volunteered reading for children monthly as well as read a monthly book of interest. Did about 100 hrs, 3 years.

I also played volleyball and was a member for 2 years, 200 hrs.

I was a co-founder of a fundraiser for homelessness. My best friend and I created a fundraising volleyball tournament where we hosted 15 teams and raised about $2,000.

I was a founding member of CHAARG, a club on campus to help empowers women through mental health stability and fitness. Did 100 hrs for a year.

11. LOR: 2 from MD- one from my scribing position and the other from my volunteer health clinic. 1 school committee letter, 1 from my ochem professor whom I tutored for(who is also on the committee team), 1 from my lab coordinator, and one from my animal physiology professor whom I was a supplemental instructor for 6 months. They all know me very well!

I had a rough patch in the beginning of my undergrad due to my mom's illness and lack of resources. I had to work full time for 2 years to help aid my mom in her medication expenses. It was a rough time in our lives, but after finding financial help for my mom, I had the opportunity to stop working and focus on school full time. I tried tying my application to my story as best as I could.

Not sure what the MCAT three digits are now but looks fine to me. Depends how much money you want to spend interviewing around the country. If you want to have more control of where you end up, as far as location, I would say interview at osteopathic schools so the tables are turned and you are basically interviewing them instead of the other way around. I had a little higher GPA, two masters degrees, etc etc- wanted to live in so cal, so only interviewed at Western University in Pomona, CA because I felt like I had a really good chance there. Saved a ton of money, stress, and time. Now a board certified anesthesiologist with no regrets- got into my top choice residency. It’s really what you put into medical school once accepted, I dominated my steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users