Help with school list please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmac001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! i know these threads are redundant but if you can just give me your opinions on the schools i am planning apply to for to best my chance of getting in, please reply. i have a gpa of 3.4 and sci gpa of 3.3. my DAT is 24/24/19. I have lots of leadership and good EC. I am also a california resident. Yea I already looked at the ADEA guide book but having a hard time cutting down the last 2 schools

Here is the schools i definitely am applying to: (but feel free to comment as well)
1. columbia
2. nyu
3. ucla
4. uscf
5. uop
5. usc
7. western
8. bu
9. tufts
10. unlv
11. temple
12. maryland
13. upenn
14. harvard (haha worth a shot)

and so i have resources for 2 schools left to apply to from the following list. please comment on what schools u think will give me the best shot:
arizone, midwestern, michigan, creighton, new jersy, buffalo, case, pittsburg, vcu, marquette, nova and louisville

Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan and Case :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! i know these threads are redundant but if you can just give me your opinions on the schools i am planning apply to for to best my chance of getting in, please reply. i have a gpa of 3.4 and sci gpa of 3.3. my DAT is 24/24/19. I have lots of leadership and good EC. I am also a california resident. Yea I already looked at the ADEA guide book but having a hard time cutting down the last 2 schools

Here is the schools i definitely am applying to: (but feel free to comment as well)
1. columbia
2. nyu
3. ucla
4. uscf
5. uop
5. usc
7. western
8. bu
9. tufts
10. unlv
11. temple
12. maryland
13. upenn

and so i have resources for 2 schools left to apply to from the following list. please comment on what schools u think will give me the best shot:
arizone, midwestern, michigan, creighton, new jersy, buffalo, case, pittsburg, vcu, marquette, nova and louisville

You need more safety schools: Nova, Howard, Meharry, New Jersey

ooh. i'm not a URM so i dont know if howard and meharry will be good for me.

nova i saw on the stats is actually pretty high? is this considered a safety school?

Thanks for response btw. i really appreciate your opinion

Well, i think michigan is one of the top schools that ppl recognize and Case, I personally like it cuz they also have the P/F system :)

from my list, what would be those 'safety schools' given my stats? thank you !

With a 24/24/19 why do u need "safety schools"? Just apply to the three that you want to go to and harvard for fun.

Your GPA is lower, not low. Your DATs put you over the top. DATs are the first thing looked at to make the cut. After that they just make sure you're okay. Check which schools have a GPA requirement and apply to 3 that don't. And harvard for fun.

'cause my gpa is low thats why :(
My GPA was about yours (3.3 Total and 3.2 SC) and my DAT scores were 22/22/24. I applied to most of the schools you plan to apply and had interviews from UCSF, Columbia, Pitt, Louisville, Western, and NYU. I applied to Meharry and Creighton as safety schools but didn't hear from them. And Case cares ALOT about your GPA. I got rejected right away. But I got into U of Pittsburgh and U of Louisville.

My GPA was about yours (3.3 Total and 3.2 SC) and my DAT scores were 22/22/24. I applied to most of the schools you plan to apply and had interviews from UCSF, Columbia, Pitt, Louisville, Western, and NYU. I applied to Meharry and Creighton as safety schools but didn't hear from them. And Case cares ALOT about your GPA. I got rejected right away. But I got into U of Pittsburgh and U of Louisville.
thanks the dreamer. that made me feel better. when did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
ooh how come? :)
I know UMich is pretty strong and well respected in research as well as clinical experience. I would definitely tack that on to your list. Other than that you are really fine, your DAT definitely sets you apart and your GPA is definitely in a reasonable range. I already see 3 "safety" schools, good job on the list of schools.

Numbers wise you have a chance at any of these schools, so choose the ones that are most appealing to you. Nova isn't easy to get into as no dental school is, but they do hand out a lot of interviews, so you could expect one with your stats. As for the other schools, choose one you could actually see yourself going to. You have mentioned a lot of strong programs, so you can't go wrong. Being from California, what about Midwestern and ASDOH?

Thanks a lot everyone! I've narrowed the schools down to these schools after listening to everyone's comments, looking at the schools and their stats on the ADEA 2010 guide books. Another factor is how feasible it is for me to get into these schools just because i feel that i would be happy with any of the following schools if i am fortunate enough to get in. Please feel free to comment. Again, thank you!

asdoh, midwestern, michigan, pittsburg, and louisville

1. columbia
2. nyu
3. ucla
4. uscf
5. uop
5. usc
7. western
8. bu
9. tufts
10. unlv
11. temple
12. maryland
13. upenn

I think you have a good list, perhaps too many schools already. With your high DAT, Columbia and UOP will love you for sure (if you have good ECs as well). Harvard and UPenn would be a long shot. You should take Maryland and UNLV off your list since you are from CA. Do not apply to Tufts if you had any classes at a JC. Honestly with your stats, you should apply to 10 schools max. Save money, save time, and you would still get plenty of interviews.

i think you have a good list, perhaps too many schools already. With your high dat, columbia and uop will love you for sure (if you have good ecs as well). Harvard and upenn would be a long shot. You should take maryland and unlv off your list since you are from ca. Do not apply to tufts if you had any classes at a jc. honestly with your stats, you should apply to 10 schools max. save money, save time, and you would still get plenty of interviews.

+1

Your DAT fits, but Harvard's average GPA is about 3.8 or so, and their class size is very small. However, they do like diversity, so if you have a unique story or something different you could bring to the class, then you have a better chance.

bump

if you were me, which 2 of these schools do you think i should apply and have the best shots in?

asdoh, midwestern, michigan, pittsburg, and louisville

also, do u guys think i'd have little chance of getting in maryland or unlv? :(

also, do u guys think i'd have little chance of getting in maryland or unlv? :(

the more important question is do you want to go there if you got in to the other schools on your list. If the answer is no, then save your money and don't apply.

the more important question is do you want to go there if you got in to the other schools on your list. If the answer is no, then save your money and don't apply.
yep! i would. i have family in maryland and unlv is close and far enough from home!