Help with school list (Stats and ECs inside)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markovchn123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying for MD/PhD programs this upcoming summer. However I was wondering if my school list, based on my stats and ECs, was good.

NY Resident
Non-URM white male
MCAT: 516 (95th percentile)
Major: Biochem/Math minor
GPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.9

Research: 3 years total (2 summers).

Did one year of wet lab work involving zebrafish and diseases. Did not like wet lab work too much so I switched to computational research.

Have done computational research the past two years focusing on amino acids.

I have done an REU. Currently finishing up a manuscript and plan to submit it soon with my PI for publication.

I also have three poster presentations outside of my college and am a member of a research honors society

ECs:

3 years of peer tutoring at my college

I also started to teach MCAT prep courses for a well-known company

I’ve helped autistic kids learn math for the past two years through a school program

I have about 30 hours of shadowing right now but I am still shadowing so I hope to have around 80 when I’m done

100 hours of volunteering at a hospital

I have the following school list so far

Targets

UConn
URochester
Stony Brook
Umass
UNC
Penn State
UPitt (did REU there, otherwise it would be a reach)
UT southwestern
UT San Antonio
SUNY Upstate
Uwisconsin-Madison

Reaches

Boston
Hopkins
Umichigan
Dartmouth
Duke

I just want to know if my list is good so far and if there are any schools that I should put as reach instead of target or vice-versa. I plan to add a few more schools for a total of 20.Also if anyone has any good school suggestions please let me know. I know it's a little early but I have a busy schedule next semester so starting early is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy the process... You seem to have what it takes. The process should take you to 8-12 interviews leading to 2-4 acceptances. PM me if you need.

As a side note, State of residency doesn't matter for MD/PhD students.
Thanks for the reply Fencer, you're the go to for MD PhD knowledge. Do you think my school list is reasonable? Should I add any that fit with my stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats and ECS are great. Exactly like mine but I got a 514 :p You could also throw in NYU, UCLA and Baylor if you're interested in those programs. I interview at all those places and got accepted to NYU.

Your stats and ECS are great. Exactly like mine but I got a 514 :p You could also throw in NYU, UCLA and Baylor if your interested in those programs. I interview at all those places and got accepted to NYU.
Thanks for the response! Did you get into the MD/PhD program? Also congratulations on the acceptance!

Yup! I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA and Baylor in February so I might get into those programs as well *fingers crossed* My advice to you is just finish your application extremely early and don't procrastinate on secondaries.