Help with school list (Stats and ECs inside)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

markovchn123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am applying for MD/PhD programs this upcoming summer. However I was wondering if my school list, based on my stats and ECs, was good.

NY Resident
Non-URM white male
MCAT: 516 (95th percentile)
Major: Biochem/Math minor
GPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.9

Research: 3 years total (2 summers).

Did one year of wet lab work involving zebrafish and diseases. Did not like wet lab work too much so I switched to computational research.

Have done computational research the past two years focusing on amino acids.

I have done an REU. Currently finishing up a manuscript and plan to submit it soon with my PI for publication.

I also have three poster presentations outside of my college and am a member of a research honors society

ECs:

3 years of peer tutoring at my college

I also started to teach MCAT prep courses for a well-known company

I’ve helped autistic kids learn math for the past two years through a school program

I have about 30 hours of shadowing right now but I am still shadowing so I hope to have around 80 when I’m done

100 hours of volunteering at a hospital


I have the following school list so far

Targets

UConn
URochester
Stony Brook
Umass
UNC
Penn State
UPitt (did REU there, otherwise it would be a reach)
UT southwestern
UT San Antonio
SUNY Upstate
Uwisconsin-Madison

Reaches

Boston
Hopkins
Umichigan
Dartmouth
Duke

I just want to know if my list is good so far and if there are any schools that I should put as reach instead of target or vice-versa. I plan to add a few more schools for a total of 20.Also if anyone has any good school suggestions please let me know. I know it's a little early but I have a busy schedule next semester so starting early is a good idea.
 
Enjoy the process... You seem to have what it takes. The process should take you to 8-12 interviews leading to 2-4 acceptances. PM me if you need.

As a side note, State of residency doesn't matter for MD/PhD students.
Thanks for the reply Fencer, you're the go to for MD PhD knowledge. Do you think my school list is reasonable? Should I add any that fit with my stats?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your stats and ECS are great. Exactly like mine but I got a 514 😛 You could also throw in NYU, UCLA and Baylor if you're interested in those programs. I interview at all those places and got accepted to NYU.
 
Your stats and ECS are great. Exactly like mine but I got a 514 😛 You could also throw in NYU, UCLA and Baylor if your interested in those programs. I interview at all those places and got accepted to NYU.
Thanks for the response! Did you get into the MD/PhD program? Also congratulations on the acceptance!
 
Yup! I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA and Baylor in February so I might get into those programs as well *fingers crossed* My advice to you is just finish your application extremely early and don't procrastinate on secondaries.