MD Help with school list/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitetopaz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been a long-time lurker, but have never posted anything. I’m hoping to get some advice regarding my application this cycle. I just received my MCAT score, and I feel it’s rather low, so I’m not sure what schools to apply to at this point.

MCAT: 510 (128/126/126/130) <--- should I retake this? I underperformed in the first three sections by at least 2 points each, but I also never scored higher than 128 in P/S on any practice test.
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.60

Clinical Volunteering: 300+ in PACU of surgery center and 40+ bone marrow transplant unit
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100+ at various organizations in the community (Food Bank, Diaper Bank, etc.)
Research: 300 hours in an evolutionary biology lab; 400 hours in a lab in the department of surgery (w/ one publication)
EC’s: pretty standard (1-2 leadership positions; Red Cross, etc.); the only one that’s maybe unusual/notable is my Lead Teaching Assistant position, where I manage all the TA’s for an introductory class; also nominated for a department-wide TA of the Year Award
A little background: being a TA at my school is considered "prestigious" because it requires a professor's recommendation on top of the expected A in the class. The Lead TA position is also usually given to a PhD/MS student, almost never an undergrad.
LOR: Strong/glowing, but I don't expect them to make me stand out
Shadowing: 10 (I know it’s SUPER low, but I plan on bringing this up to 100+ in the next few months)

Background info:
Asian Female
State of residence: Maryland
Major: Biology (very bitter about my B/B score especially)
Undergrad: Top 10 University

Current school list:
1. University of Maryland
2. University of Virginia
3. Georgetown University
4. George Washington University
5. Howard University
6. Virginia Commonwealth School of Medicine
7. Duke University
8. Virginia Tech University
9. Eastern Virginia
10. Jefferson
11. Temple
12. Drexel
13. Miami
14. Dartmouth

Are DO schools necessary? I’m sorry if that’s an amateur question!

I’m perfectly happy going to University of Maryland since I would be close to home, but if that doesn’t pan out (their median GPA/MCAT is 3.82/512, which is slightly higher than what I have), I’d prefer to stay on the East Coast.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can delete Howard since they accept mainly URM. I suggest applying to many more schools and consider these:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane