Help with School List (:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyzzbruh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats/EC's:
  • Residency: NJ
  • DAT: 23AA, 24TS (nothing below 22)
  • GPA: 3.86 (university), 3.97 (community college)
  • Research: 1 year of undergraduate research (no publications)
  • Shadowing: 300 hours (mostly GP, some specialties)
  • Volunteer: 600 hours (involved since freshman year)
  • Work: 4000 hours (averaging 20 hours a week)
  • Letters: Committee packet (cover letter, 2 science, 1 dentist, 1 volunteer, 1 dental laboratory technician).
note:
Bachelors degree in Biology.
77 credits at university, 70 credits at community college.
White male, low income family (financially disadvantaged?).

School list
(definite):

• Rutgers
  • Columbia
  • Stony Brook
  • U Mich
  • U Pacific
  • U Conn
  • U Penn
  • Harvard
  • Midwestern AZ
(contemplating):
  • Marquette (tuition: $59k/yr ... class size: 100)
  • NOVA (tuition: $64k/yr ... class size: 125 ... has omfs program)
  • UNLV (tuition: $94/55/55/37k ... class size: 82)
  • MUSC (tuition: $82/60/82/82k ... class size: 75 ... has omfs program)
  • Louisville (tuition: $67k/yr ... class size: 120 ... has omfs program)
  • U Maryland (tuition: $65k/yr ... class size: 130 ... has omfs program)
Ultimately, I need help choosing 2 schools from the "contemplating" list.
Feel free to suggest schools that are not mentioned.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what are you looking for in a dental school? with your stats you could apply a lot of different places but i think your current definite list is good and youll probably get in one of them

what are you looking for in a dental school? with your stats you could apply a lot of different places but i think your current definite list is good and youll probably get in one of them
  • Chances to specialize
  • Early research/externships opportunities
  • An organized curriculum (preferably P/F and biomedical)
  • Open door policies and recorded lectures
  • Students seem happy

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be surprised if you didn't get into one of your "definite" schools with those stats and extracurriculars. Seeing as your financially disadvantaged, I would save the money for interview season.

If you want a safety, I would add Marquette.

Edit: I just realized you want a school geared towards specialization. Marquette is good clinically, but I have no idea how well they prepare you for matching into specialty programs.

I would add NOVA and another reach school geared towards your interests (UCSF or UNC). Not the most OOS friendly, but you have the stats.

Also, possibly UPitt. They only take a limtited amount of courses from a community college, but it looks like you've taken plenty of classes at a 4 year university to offset that.

I don't think MWU AZ has an open door policy. Nothing is recorded for you and attendance is mandatory.

I would add NOVA and another reach school geared towards your interests (UCSF or UNC). Not the most OOS friendly, but you have the stats.

Also, possibly UPitt. They only take a limtited amount of courses from a community college, but it looks like you've taken plenty of classes at a 4 year university to offset that.
I heard a professor at NOVA once say that the students require constant guidance. This makes me think there are holes in the curriculum and students are constantly puzzled. Any thoughts on this?