Help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rectangles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive seen a couple of these and thought I'd also chime in for some advice. I completed undergrad with low stats 3.0gpa and 2.8sgpa and spent the last two years completing special masters which I did pretty well in 3.9gpa. While Ill, of course, be applying to the school that I completed my masters at, I know a lot of other schools might not even consider it. Kind of sucks because had I known this two years ago I would have definitely done a post-bacc instead. Regardless here's where Im at, and Im open to advice. Ive got plenty of clinical and volunteering hours, great research at the top facilities, good extracurriculars and solid letters. And I will be applying to DO schools as well. Some say I shouldnt apply..like ever, others say as a minority applicant give it a shot. I have no idea how to compose my school list other then DO's and the HBCU's. What schools can I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

African American New Jersey resident here. I went to college in Pennsylvania (not sure if that qualifies me as a resident there). My first MCAT was too low for most MD schools 497, retaking in June. Practice tests are currently averaging 505, working full-time to pay back these massive loans/ bills and buy ramen with the pennies I have left from my paycheck. However and hoping to break 510 by June 1st. With a 510+ mcat and the rest of my stats, what do you guys think a reasonable school list would look like?

Post your actual new MCAT score here when available and I will give you a list of schools. With your GPA and MCAT of 497 you would have a chance for interviews at only some of the newer DO schools.