Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdawg15

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for anyone who helps!

White male from TX
GPA: 3.9+ MCAT: 520+
Top 20 public university (rising senior, no gap year)
Research: Just started working in a lab last semester. I currently only have about 150 hours.
Volunteering: clinical- 10 just started working at a non profit health center for people without insurance, nonclinical ~250 hours
Shadowing: 100 hours, mostly orthopedics
Leadership: President of 2 organizations (founder of one),

I've already submitted my TMDSAS to every Texas school. I'm also planning to apply to Baylor and Emory. I want to come up with 5-8 more schools that are a good mix of reach, realistic, and safe. I'd prefer to stay in the South (or anywhere where it isn't freezing cold).

Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you really only have 10 hrs of clinical exposure? That's a non-starter for med schools, no matter what your stats are. My own student interviewers would eat you alive.
I feel like shadowing would count as "clinical exposure" so I guess I would have 110. My university is in a small town where the number of pre-med students looking for volunteer hours is much higher than the need for volunteers. So anyone who works anything less than full time at the hospital here pretty much just stocks shelves and cleans. I didn't think I'd get much out of that, and I'm not even sure I'd count that as clinical exposure anyways.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol well that was helpful. I feel like shadowing would count as "clinical exposure" so I guess I would have 110. My university is in a small town where the number of pre-med students looking for volunteer hours is much higher than the need for volunteers. So anyone who works anything less than full time at the hospital here pretty much just stocks shelves and cleans. I didn't think I'd get much out of that, and I'm not even sure I'd count that as clinical exposure anyways.

I also teach CPR and First Responder courses. I wouldn't consider that clinical, but it's probably the most medically related thing I can do here outside of being a full time medical assistant. And since I'm taking classes and working another job, I definitely don't have time to be working an additional 40 hours a week.
Shadowing is a passive activity that only lets you know what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach the practice of Medicine.

What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

I can't sugar coat this. This is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

From the wise LizzyM: I am always reminded of a certain frequent poster of a few years ago. He was adamant about not volunteering as he did not want to give his services for free and he was busy and helping others was inconvenient. He matriculated to a medical school and lasted less than one year. He's now in school to become an accountant.

I understand having to work and be a student at the same time, but you will simply get crowded out by applicants with stronger apps.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

See how this cycle shakes out. You might get lucky and land an acceptance; I knew a guy with no clinical volunteering - but otherwise stellar stats and research plus a few hundred hours of shadowing and cookie-cutter nonclinical volunteering - who landed an acceptance to his state school. Guy had stellar LORs, though - he was the best student they'd seen in their entire teaching careers.