Help with some decisions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm having a difficult time deciding what schools to apply to. I keep changing my list...and I'm afraid of choosing schools that I dont really have a shot at. I just want to try to apply to the right places

Also, I am a reapplicant. My previous MCAT was a 26 (PS8 VR10 BS8) and I retook it recently (practice scores 30-33) and I'm waiting for the results. My GPA is 3.63.

So basically I need help with schools and as a reapplicant will it hurt me to apply to schools again...

1. Jefferson
2. Drexel
3. GW
4. Tulane
5. MC of Wisconsin
6. NYMC
7. VCU (instate)
8. UVA (instate)
9. EVMS (instate)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Jefferson
2. Drexel
3. GW
4. Tulane
5. MC of Wisconsin
6. NYMC
7. VCU (instate)
8. UVA (instate)
9. EVMS (instate)

Hang on...are these the schools you're on the fence about, or is this your complete list of schools where you'll apply? :confused:

If it's the latter, PLEASE apply early and widely - many more than 9 schools!

Hang on...are these the schools you're on the fence about, or is this your complete list of schools where you'll apply? :confused:

If it's the latter, PLEASE apply early and widely - many more than 9 schools!

Well this is the complete list so far...I'm holding back bc I'm waiting on MCAT scores. how many is good number to apply to anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive also taken off a couple bc not sure.

Like some schools that are on my maybe list are...

Penn State
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Creighton
U of Ill
U of Toledo
..................umm I think there might have been a few more...

...but if you have some schools that I should add before I get my score let me know. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive also taken off a couple bc not sure.

Like some schools that are on my maybe list are...

Penn State
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Creighton
U of Ill
U of Toledo
..................umm I think there might have been a few more...

...but if you have some schools that I should add before I get my score let me know. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I would apply to 10-15 schools. I'm going overboard with 24 MD and 6 DO. I've got a pretty wide ranging list on my MDapps, and depending on your MCAT (if you break a 30 my list would be good to cherry pick from as a VA resident...)

I would be weary of Toledo and Univ of Illinois being an out-of-state reapplicant. The other schools on your list (and the maybe list) are probably OK. Being a reapplicant can hurt you, be benign either way, or even help you. Depends on the school and what you did to improve your app since the previous time. That last part is the key. I'm going to apply to 15-20 MD schools. I think more than 20 is pushing it without absolutely stellar stats, but apply to any school you feel you have a good shot at.

Well this is the complete list so far...I'm holding back bc I'm waiting on MCAT scores. how many is good number to apply to anyways?

I'd apply a LOT more widely.

I had stats (GPA and MCAT) around the means when I was a pre-med and still applied to around 30 schools. (I was also in CA.)

Should I just put schools on now...and by the way app has not been verified yet.....before MCATs come out or put some now and add some later??? I'm also planning to apply to DO.

I'm also taking any suggestions for schools.:)

Should I just put schools on now...and by the way app has not been verified yet.....before MCATs come out or put some now and add some later??? I'm also planning to apply to DO.

I'm also taking any suggestions for schools.:)

Either way is fine. You can wait for verification. Especially if your MCAT score would change where you apply.

Have you submitted AACOMAS yet? They are running much slower than AMCAS right now.

Either way is fine. You can wait for verification. Especially if your MCAT score would change where you apply.

Have you submitted AACOMAS yet? They are running much slower than AMCAS right now.

nope. I was thinking of submitting late july, bc I need to work on the essay. I was htinking of using my AMCAS essay, but Ive been told it needs to be geared towards DO.

nope. I was thinking of submitting late july, bc I need to work on the essay. I was htinking of using my AMCAS essay, but Ive been told it needs to be geared towards DO.

Most schools ask on their secondary "Why Osteopathic" so I didn't include it on my AACOMAS essay, since I have the chance to go over that in the secondaries. without repeating myself.

Anyone else have any input?

Most schools ask on their secondary "Why Osteopathic" so I didn't include it on my AACOMAS essay, since I have the chance to go over that in the secondaries. without repeating myself.

Anyone else have any input?
I would agree. The "why you want to be a doctor" applies to both MD and DO, so if that's what you're covering in your PS, then it's fine. Maybe put a one-liner in about DO, but I don't think you have to. Keep in mind if you use your AMCAS essay that the DO essay has to be shorter character-wise.

I would agree. The "why you want to be a doctor" applies to both MD and DO, so if that's what you're covering in your PS, then it's fine. Maybe put a one-liner in about DO, but I don't think you have to. Keep in mind if you use your AMCAS essay that the DO essay has to be shorter character-wise.

yeah, the character difference stinks :)

Can't give any specific advice without the new MCAT score.
Post an update when you get the score back.

The only real advice for now is you need to apply to a lot more schools.

Hi so I'm having a difficult time deciding what schools to apply to. I keep changing my list...and I'm afraid of choosing schools that I dont really have a shot at. I just want to try to apply to the right places

Also, I am a reapplicant. My previous MCAT was a 26 (PS8 VR10 BS8) and I retook it recently (practice scores 30-33) and I'm waiting for the results. My GPA is 3.63.

So basically I need help with schools and as a reapplicant will it hurt me to apply to schools again...

1. Jefferson
2. Drexel
3. GW
4. Tulane
5. MC of Wisconsin
6. NYMC
7. VCU (instate)
8. UVA (instate)
9. EVMS (instate)

I think that as a reapplicant you need to apply to way more schools. It'll definitely help you if you can get the mcat above a 30, but if you can't, you really, really need to apply broadly. If your score doesn't improve, I would start looking into DO schools-- I can't remember if you said you were already said you were doing this or not.

Some other schools that might be a good idea are...

Albany
Temple
RFU
SUNYs

Hi, I'd suggest calling Jefferson if they stay on your list, from what I recall when I spoke with them a 9 or higher is required on every section for an applicant to be seriously considered, presumably with the retest you'll be OK here but I thought they were sticklers for that section score.