Help with supermemo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeping-it-real

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I d/l supermemo and i d/l the appropriate UU files... but i can't seem to get the UU files into the supermemo program. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

are you using it on your pc or your palm? if palm, does the supermemo program launch for you? provide some more details so we can help you out.

J

DOctorJay said:
are you using it on your pc or your palm? if palm, does the supermemo program launch for you? provide some more details so we can help you out.

J
yes, that might help :oops:

it is the PC version. the SM (2002 version) program boots up fine and i have the working interface. when i go to "File" --> "Open Collection" and then find the folder with the files, there is nothing in there.

The folder i have is with the direct d/l links from the UU site. Here is the link i used http://umed.med.utah.edu/palm/supermemo/ (the files i d/led were from the USMLE table)

thx.

as a general question, how does one go about opening up the D/L 'text' files from the UU site? Let's say i have SM and the UU files... what is my next step? thx.

Members don't see this ad :)
keeping-it-real said:
as a general question, how does one go about opening up the D/L 'text' files from the UU site? Let's say i have SM and the UU files... what is my next step? thx.

I have the 2004 version and haven't used these cards but try:

File : Tools : Import : Q&A text

This program makes a collection of cards for you and stores it in a complex set of files and folders. The core file will have a .kno extension. When you started using the program it should have setup a default card set with some cards about how to use the program. You can delete these (or leave them as you'll then memorize how to use all the features), and throw in your own cards.

Because it schedules daily assignments for you, I think it's easiest to import all cards into a single .kno collection. I would not import all the cards you downloaded at once, but rather introduce 50-150 (depending on you commitment) per day.

sorry, i have no idea about the pc program. i only have used the program on my palm.

-J

lord_jeebus said:
This program makes a collection of cards for you and stores it in a complex set of files and folders. The core file will have a .kno extension. When you started using the program it should have setup a default card set with some cards about how to use the program. You can delete these (or leave them as you'll then memorize how to use all the features), and throw in your own cards.

Because it schedules daily assignments for you, I think it's easiest to import all cards into a single .kno collection. I would not import all the cards you downloaded at once, but rather introduce 50-150 (depending on you commitment) per day.
your directions got it working... thanks!

i'm just using the pre-made links from the UU website. they have each section of FA broken down into categories.

is there a way that you can set it to reshow your missed cards or does it interject them automatically with differing frequencies depending on how you marked your level of confidence?

thanks again... b/w this and the golj thing, i owe you a bottle of wine or something ;) :thumbup: :thumbup:

When you miss a card, its interval is usually reduced to a day, so you'll get it again the next day. The interval increases with each success -- the amount of increase depends on your confidence, and number of past successes. Over time the program will figure out your learning curve and adjust the intervals to maintain your "forgetting index" at the level you specify.

Also, at the end of each day's set, you get a "final drill" of all cards you missed or barely answered, and they repeat until you get them right.