Help with the application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireflakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last cycle I only applied to Canadian med schools but didn't get into any of them so this time I am planning to apply to some low-mid tier US schools as well. But I don't understand if I should do the early application because my first preference is still to stay in Ont. (and I will be applying to Ont med schools this time too).

My stats aren't that great: AMCAS GPA close to 3.96, 29Q; 7VR (but I am doing a re-write in a month so hoping this will improve by a couple points), average ECs that include 4+ yrs hospital volunteering, some research, exec on a couple clubs, TA etc. Will be entering my 4th year!

Here is a short list of schools where I think I stand a chance: Wayne, NYU, MU, GWU, SUNY, maybe Chicago? ...is this a good list considering my stats?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the latter part of the hospital volunteering was shadowing in ER (around 50 hours). But will all of this be able to compensate for the current low MCAT score?

Hey guys,

Last cycle I only applied to Canadian med schools but didn't get into any of them so this time I am planning to apply to some low-mid tier US schools as well. But I don't understand if I should do the early application because my first preference is still to stay in Ont. (and I will be applying to Ont med schools this time too).

My stats aren't that great: AMCAS GPA close to 3.96, 29Q; 7VR (but I am doing a re-write in a month so hoping this will improve by a couple points), average ECs that include 4+ yrs hospital volunteering, some research, exec on a couple clubs, TA etc. Will be entering my 4th year!

Here is a short list of schools where I think I stand a chance: Wayne, NYU, MU, GWU, SUNY, maybe Chicago? ...is this a good list considering my stats?

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd just apply to Rosalind Franklin near Chicago until you get the second score back. At that point you can decide to add more schools or not, depending on how competitive the score is. Newly added schools will get the entire application within a business day. Or, you might decide that you are so competitive for Canadian schools that you'd not add more in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I'd just apply to Rosalind Franklin near Chicago until you get the second score back. At that point you can decide to add more schools or not, depending on how competitive the score is. Newly added schools will get the entire application within a business day. Or, you might decide that you are so competitive for Canadian schools that you'd not add more in the US.
Thanks cat, that sounds good! I am under the impression that >30 is the magic score for MCAT but how closely is that followed for Canadian applicants?

Also, are there any schools that absolutely look at the cumulative MCAT scores for Canadian applicants? I feel like I have a better shot of raising my overall score to mid-30s than going from 7 to 11/12 in VR.

Thanks again!

I am under the impression that >30 is the magic score for MCAT but how closely is that followed for Canadian applicants?
Make of this what you will:

2011 AAMC data (extracted from FACTS tables 3,4,20,21):

1331 International Applicants without a US state of residence (1009 Canadian and 363 Other) only 13.1% matriculated to a US med school (174/1331 with 98 Canadian + 76 Other) whereas 43.8% of all applicants did matriculate (19,230/43,919).

Mean Canadian matriculant stats: MCAT 33.8+/-4.1, cGPA 3.76+/-0.2, sGPA 3.76+/-.21
Other Internationals mean matriculant stats: MCAT 32.4+/-3.9, cGPA 3.71+/-.21, sGPA 3.66+/-.26
All 2011 matriculant averages: MCAT 31.1+/-4.1, cGPA 3.67+/-.26, sGPA 3.61+/-.32

Last edited:
Maybe Oakland.

Thanks!

Make of this what you will:

2011 AAMC data (extracted from FACTS tables 3,4,20,21):

1331 International Applicants without a US state of residence (1009 Canadian and 363 Other) only 13.1% matriculated to a US med school (174/1331 with 98 Canadian + 76 Other) whereas 43.8% of all applicants did matriculate (19,230/43,919).

Mean Canadian matriculant stats: MCAT 33.8+/-4.1, cGPA 3.76+/-0.2, sGPA 3.76+/-.21
Other Internationals mean matriculant stats: MCAT 32.4+/-3.9, cGPA 3.71+/-.21, sGPA 3.66+/-.26
All 2011 matriculant averages: MCAT 31.1+/-4.1, cGPA 3.67+/-.26, sGPA 3.61+/-.32

Wow ~34 mean MCAT score!! I guess my best bet now is to focus on improving the MCAT scores as much as possible!

...But I don't understand if I should do the early application because my first preference is still to stay in Ont. (and I will be applying to Ont med schools this time too)....

If you are referring to early decision, that doesn't work quite the same way on your app as it does for undergrad. Yeah, it still offers a shot of bypassing the excruciatingly drawn-out application calendar that others must endure, but it doesn't give you an advantage because of your commitment. The advice generally given is that you really ought not to apply ED unless you have an outstanding shot of getting accepted normally, because you otherwise have an excellent chance of having to apply elsewhere in October. =(

hi guys,i just read the entry requirement of bachelor of medicine,can you guys explain me about :

this is one of the entry requirements of bachelor of medicine:
Internationally recognized degree of upper second or first class honours in a relevant discipline from University or any other university recognised by the University Senate ?
What does this means?

Anyway,im new here :)

hi guys,i just read the entry requirement of bachelor of medicine,can you guys explain me about :

this is one of the entry requirements of bachelor of medicine:
Internationally recognized degree of upper second or first class honours in a relevant discipline from University or any other university recognised by the University Senate ?
What does this means?

Anyway,im new here :)
Sorry, US and Canadian medical schools don't have a bachelors of medicine program. You might check out the International Medicine Forum and see if it's more suitable to your needs.

If you are referring to early decision, that doesn't work quite the same way on your app as it does for undergrad. Yeah, it still offers a shot of bypassing the excruciatingly drawn-out application calendar that others must endure, but it doesn't give you an advantage because of your commitment. The advice generally given is that you really ought not to apply ED unless you have an outstanding shot of getting accepted normally, because you otherwise have an excellent chance of having to apply elsewhere in October. =(

Thanks! Yes I was referring to ED but I don't think I'll be aiming for that based on my MCAT scores!