Help!! Writing own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by one of professors if I could write a brief LOR for myself. I'm getting stuck on how the format should be. Should it be from his point of view? Should I use my name throughout the letter? How do I start it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, it should be from his point of view. I've heard this is pretty common practice (although I've never experienced it). Just highlight your achievements, extracurriculars, GPA, DAT, how you did in the specific class. Don't make yourself sound too awesome, though haha.

Google it, there are templates all over the internet for Recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, it should be from his point of view. I've heard this is pretty common practice (although I've never experienced it). Just highlight your achievements, extracurriculars, GPA, DAT, how you did in the specific class. Don't make yourself sound too awesome, though haha.

These may provide good background information for the prof but they are not part of an LOR.

Actually i wrote myself a LOR. I asked the dentist whom I used to work with for a LOR and he told me to write it myself and then give it to him so he could approve it. I did. At first, i had a hard time of starting the letter too, then i googled the format and started putting down points that i wanted to talk about from his stand point. It is a letter from a dentist, so i needed to figure out what I needed to put in the LOR so the admissions committee can evaluate how good I am in the eyes of a dentist. But in my case, my dentist did a final review before he signed it for me and he changed something too.

I think i did pretty okay w/ the letter b/c Tufts offered me an interview and then accepted me. :laugh:

Oh one more thing, give a couple specific examples to support your statements. Don't just give vague statements like"xxx is very hard working and intelligent..."