HELP!! WVSOM or BCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVSOM or BCOM

• WVSOM

Votes: 55 82.1%
  • BCOM

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters

_futureDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys,
I have recently been accepted to both WVSOM and BCOM and I don't know which one to attend. For me they both have there pros and cons!

For WVSOM:
-old school that has a good reputation
- really good match rate for residences
-I like the sim lab
-no dresscode
-I like the campus
-faculty seem nice
- far far far away from home
- small town!
-rotation sites are avg
- not many elective options for 4th year
- not P/F

For BCOM
-new campus attached to NMSU which can use all facilities there
- closer to home (10 hrs)
-sim lab is nice
-P/F
-faculty is nice
- exams every other Friday
-no dresscode
-weather is better then wv
not as small as town
- new school so not stats on it
- worried about residency match
-good rotation sites
- more electives for 4th year

if there is anything I missed please add to it!
or if I was wrong on something please correct me:)

I need some of your guys opinions between the two schools!

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

What about tuition? I remember seeing somewhere that WVSOM is very expensive. A DO school is just a DO school in PDs' eyes. Go with cheaper one.

Members don't see this ad :)
P/F is enticing, but WVSOM is just a different tier. I don't see anything here about mandatory attendance, but that should be a consideration as well. I would think having alumni that go back decades is a huge plus. Much larger chance they can help you get the residency you want (yes its still mostly on you, but having prior residents from your school will help open doors at places). Plus having a state school should make the administration more accountable.

Interviewed at WVSOM and almost attended over a US MD school if tuition was not 50k/yr... I vote for WVSOM.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m pretty convinced that WVSOM is a diamond in the rough.

Reactions: 1 user
Knowing an alum from the university that said only positive things and the fact that at BCOM you got at least one year without title 4 loans. wvsom wins out. Plus they have a pretty good track record on their resume where bcom doesn't have a bullet yet.

What about tuition? I remember seeing somewhere that WVSOM is very expensive. A DO school is just a DO school in PDs' eyes. Go with cheaper one.
It's only expensive for the first year. You can get IS tuition after that.

Interviewed at WVSOM and almost attended over a US MD school if tuition was not 50k/yr... I vote for WVSOM.

When I interviewed there, spoke to a lady in Lewisburg whose son went to WVSOM and matched surgery. He actually choose WVSOM over the state MD school. Said he liked the atmosphere of WVSOM and small town feel of Lewisburg.

When I interviewed there, spoke to a lady in Lewisburg whose son went to WVSOM and matched surgery. He actually choose WVSOM over the state MD school. Said he liked the atmosphere and small town feel of Lewisburg.
That's exactly why I had a hard time choosing the MD school over WVSOM... I called them to express my desire to attend, and asked them if they could give me some kind of scholarship to match the 32k tuition (now 36k :() of the MD school; they said they could not do it. I had to reluctantly decline the acceptance.

That's exactly why I had a hard time choosing the MD school over WVSOM... I called them to express my desire to attend, and asked them if they could give me some kind of scholarship to match the 32k tuition (now 36k :() of the MD school; they said they could not do it. I had to reluctantly decline the acceptance.

Sorry to hear that.

My understanding is that med schools rarely give out scholarships. Is it normal to expect schools to give out some sort of scholarship?

I don't know much about BCOM but I just recently withdrew my acceptance from WVSOM and it was super hard to do...truly an incredible school, just far from home for me. Go with your gut. You walk out with that degree either way, right?