Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm another one of those in the -rejected- pile.. and I was hoping I could get advice from somebody.

I'm not terribly surprised at the results since my mcat and gpa are low.. 3.38 and 27Q (10's on bio and physics, bombed verbal), plus I as quite late. To give a bit of background - my courseload has always been rough and I've taken 15 credits of honors courses. I have far more leadership and volunteering experiences than anybody would ever want, and a few good medically-related experiences. I've been involved in research for a little over a year and have won presentations in local and a national competition. Also, I'm hispanic.

So of course I'm set on re-applying this year.. but my question is, what do I do for a year?
At the moment I've registered to re-take the mcat in July. I have an offer to work doing research but I also really want to do a biomedical masters program. Which would be the best choice for me? Should I turn down the job and do the MA in August? Maybe work this year and start the MA in Jan?

I'm pretty confused.. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated :/

Members don't see this ad.

take the mcat on July, that is good.

but, apply now to smp programs. its not gonna be easy but taking and showing you can tackle med school classes will be a boon that will help you next cycle.

trust me on this

cheers

If you think your course load has always been rough, do you think medical school will be easier? It won't.

I'm not terribly surprised at the results since my mcat and gpa are low.. 3.38 and 27Q (10's on bio and physics, bombed verbal), plus I as quite late. To give a bit of background - my courseload has always been rough and I've taken 15 credits of honors courses.

It all depends upon your timing, and what you want to do. Yours stas are competitive for all DO programs, including mine. However, it appears that even being a URM won't help for MD programs.

The quickest and easiest route is apply early for DO programs and work during the year; that way you can save some money.

If you're committed to getting the MD degree, then take the MS and ace the program. Then, re-take the MCAT and get >30.