Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayo79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I'm an international student without a green card .I successfully completed one academic year in med school in the united states, however, due to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't able to cater for my tuition for the remaining years. I don't have a co-signer and not eligible for loans. Does anyone have any ideas where I could look to get funding to go back and finish my medical education??
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know where you are originally from, but in most countries (especially US and Canada), a medical student has access to a plethora of funds.

You may want to see if your local goverment will provide loans. That would be the only sure option. Where are you from, anyway?

McGillGrad,
Thanks for the reply. I'm from Kenya. I've been looking into finding funding from my country but it's highly unlikely. If you have any other suggestions, kindly let me know!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ayo79
McGillGrad,
Thanks for the reply. I'm from Kenya. I've been looking into finding funding from my country but it's highly unlikely. If you have any other suggestions, kindly let me know!!

There is one way, but it has its own difficulties.

You can get a International student loan, but the hitch is that you must have a US citizen as a co-signer. I do not know if that is a possibility or not, but it might be worth talking to some close freidns or relatives to see if you cannot find a citizen to help you out.

Originally posted by ayo79
McGillGrad,

ooh goodness that sucks.

The best people to talk to are the financial office of your school. They may be able to get something together for you in the meantime. There are programs that will give you tuition scholarship if you agree to serve in underserved community/area in the future. And talk to your local bank... I know there is one local bank where I go to school is willing to lend out up to $5000 on my signature alone with the knowledge that I will become an US-trained physician.

Again, talk to your school's financial office. Most schools hate to have attrition, especially if the reason is non-academic.