Help! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cosmicdesire

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am new to posting on this website but hello! I am half-way through my gap year and have begun the arduous process of applications for post-bacc programs beginning this fall. Currently, USF's MSP3 program is at the top of my list. I was wondering if I could get any direction on how competitive of an applicant I may be to enhancer programs, as well as areas I might need to work on in the meantime. I am extremely determined to get an admission for this fall! 🙂

- Graduated May '18 with B.S in Psychology, emphasis in Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience
- cGPA: 3.36, sGPA: 3.16
- no GRE score yet, but scheduled to take it in the beginning of February

EC's:
- 3.5 years of work experience (1 of these in a leadership position)
-1 year of medical scribe experience
- 3 years of pediatric inpatient volunteering
- 2.5 years of youth mentoring/tutoring chemistry and math
- 1 summer of shadowing experience in OR/anesthesia workplace
 
All you need to do is get your GPA to a 3.6 and do well on the MCAT.
Figure out the cheapest way to do this. It's probably just going to be going to a nearby state university as a non-degree seeking student and taking 15 credits for 2-3 semesters and making As in all of them. Then study for the MCAT and score 75th percentile.

You need to worry about how to become competitive for medical school -- I wouldn't worry about how "competitive" you are for grade-enhancer post-bacs. What are they going to offer you that you can't do on your own other than a much higher price tag?
 
competitive of an applicant I may be to enhancer programs

EC's:
- 3.5 years of work experience (1 of these in a leadership position)
-1 year of medical scribe experience
- 3 years of pediatric inpatient volunteering
- 2.5 years of youth mentoring/tutoring chemistry and math
- 1 summer of shadowing experience in OR/anesthesia workplace

Put the years into how many actual hours you've volunteered and/or been a scribe; med schools look at hours, not years; explain leadership position? it means different things to different people

Do you have all the pre-reqs or trying to use post-bacc for that? I've heard good things about USF's program (in the past); know that the current dean (new in 2016 I think) started pushing an MCAT of 517+ for admission... he wants USF to be top 25 in less than 5 years (good luck with that, I say)... keep that in mind as you move forward
 
I am new to posting on this website but hello! I am half-way through my gap year and have begun the arduous process of applications for post-bacc programs beginning this fall. Currently, USF's MSP3 program is at the top of my list. I was wondering if I could get any direction on how competitive of an applicant I may be to enhancer programs, as well as areas I might need to work on in the meantime. I am extremely determined to get an admission for this fall! 🙂

- Graduated May '18 with B.S in Psychology, emphasis in Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience
- cGPA: 3.36, sGPA: 3.16
- no GRE score yet, but scheduled to take it in the beginning of February

EC's:
- 3.5 years of work experience (1 of these in a leadership position)
-1 year of medical scribe experience
- 3 years of pediatric inpatient volunteering
- 2.5 years of youth mentoring/tutoring chemistry and math
- 1 summer of shadowing experience in OR/anesthesia workplace
read this: