Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alias5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dump question, but I'm not clear when a D.O. is able to practice. Does he/she need to complete a residency or can he/she open a
primary care private practice after the internship?

If anyone knows anything please let me know.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

alias5 said:
This may be a dump question, but I'm not clear when a D.O. is able to practice. Does he/she need to complete a residency or can he/she open a
primary care private practice after the internship?

If anyone knows anything please let me know.
Thanks

IDENTICAL TO MD COURSE OF STUDY AND SPECIALIZATION

I hope that will be clear. Plus there are no stupid questions.. just bad timing

You are not fully lisenced physician until you complete residency. This is regardless of whether you get M.D. or D.O.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
You are not fully lisenced physician until you complete residency. This is regardless of whether you get M.D. or D.O.

I'm not sure about that...I think residency is for board certification. In the old days doctors would not do residencies and be called General Practitioners.

It depends on the state issuing your medical license. States can require anywhere from 1 to 3 years of residency minimum. I think that is why all residency programs are 3 years or more.

Thanks for replying. :)

She is not alone in her question. I do research at a medical college (allopathic) and I bumped into a girl I know and she is a M1. I told her that I was applying to DO programs and she asked how many years it would take. So, it goes to show that some people do not know!