• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Help

Takeshi-Jay

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
    I may be in the wrong place, but it's the closest I can get! I need big advice quick in choosing my A-Level subjects. Well, I am in the middle of choosing AS-Level subjects. I really want to become a psychiatrist but I do not know what A-Levels to take. I have gotten different advice but they have all been different. Can anybody help? Please?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 19, 2003
    The innocent shall suffer...big time
    1. Attending Physician
      What are you talking about? What's an AS level class?

If you're in undergrad, just make sure you take all the basic science prerequisites, two semesters each of biology, chemistry, physics, organic chem (all with lab), calculus for some programs, and anything else that is normally considered useful: genetics, biochemistry, advanced physiology, anatomy. If you're particulary interested in psychiatry, you could take biopsychology classes, and abnormal psych. These will be taught to you in med school, however, and aren't required at the undergrad level.

A quick google search gave this apparently useful view of a practical premed courseload:
      http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/premed.html

Takeshi-Jay

10+ Year Member
      Feb 2, 2005
        Anasazi23 said:
        What are you talking about? What's an AS level class?

If you're in undergrad, just make sure you take all the basic science prerequisites, two semesters each of biology, chemistry, physics, organic chem (all with lab), calculus for some programs, and anything else that is normally considered useful: genetics, biochemistry, advanced physiology, anatomy. If you're particulary interested in psychiatry, you could take biopsychology classes, and abnormal psych. These will be taught to you in med school, however, and aren't required at the undergrad level.

A quick google search gave this apparently useful view of a practical premed courseload:
        http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/premed.html

Sorry, I'm pretty sure you're from America, right? I'm from the UK. Thanks for the tips though, I'm sure it's pretty much the same, but I still need to know what A-Level subjects to take!

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.