Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Takeshi-Jay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be in the wrong place, but it's the closest I can get! I need big advice quick in choosing my A-Level subjects. Well, I am in the middle of choosing AS-Level subjects. I really want to become a psychiatrist but I do not know what A-Levels to take. I have gotten different advice but they have all been different. Can anybody help? Please?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What are you talking about? What's an AS level class?

If you're in undergrad, just make sure you take all the basic science prerequisites, two semesters each of biology, chemistry, physics, organic chem (all with lab), calculus for some programs, and anything else that is normally considered useful: genetics, biochemistry, advanced physiology, anatomy. If you're particulary interested in psychiatry, you could take biopsychology classes, and abnormal psych. These will be taught to you in med school, however, and aren't required at the undergrad level.

A quick google search gave this apparently useful view of a practical premed courseload:
http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/premed.html

Anasazi23 said:
What are you talking about? What's an AS level class?

If you're in undergrad, just make sure you take all the basic science prerequisites, two semesters each of biology, chemistry, physics, organic chem (all with lab), calculus for some programs, and anything else that is normally considered useful: genetics, biochemistry, advanced physiology, anatomy. If you're particulary interested in psychiatry, you could take biopsychology classes, and abnormal psych. These will be taught to you in med school, however, and aren't required at the undergrad level.

A quick google search gave this apparently useful view of a practical premed courseload:
http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/premed.html

Sorry, I'm pretty sure you're from America, right? I'm from the UK. Thanks for the tips though, I'm sure it's pretty much the same, but I still need to know what A-Level subjects to take!

maybe you should look at the UK forum, and ask there.....might be of more help.