Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only a week to go and I still don't know how to rank my programs. Out of 10 interviews, I am pretty sure which programs I will rank last. However, I am having major difficulty ranking 1-6.

My husband will probably be moving to a city I did not get an interview in. The closest (approximately 2 hours on a direct flight) and most convenient program (A) is probably the smallest and least prestigious with minmal fellowship opportunities. I am concerned that this would not be the best career move.

Program B is a little larger with several fellowships. The location is so-so. Further than location A and more expensive airfare, but still a direct flight.

Program C is larger with several fellowships. However, minimal flight time flight time would be 6 hours. Location is somewhat more interesting.

Program D is a larger program further away and with less vacation. However, there are many fellowship options. Again minimum flight time would be at least 6 hours.

Programs E and F are far away with minimal fellowship opportunities, but probably stronger programs than A and in more desirable locations.

I think I would be happy at any of the above programs. So, the big question is how to prioritize? None of the programs are in an area that I would want to stay after completing residency and fellowship as I will want to be where my husband is. I'm not comfortable with the concept of simply getting into a program and then trying to transfer a year later. This seems unfair to my future fellow residents.

The other dilemma is, if my husbands plans fall through, then he would be joining me. That would change my rank order if I knew what was going on before rank list. But alas, that is not to be.

My interest in research is minimal. However, I may be interested in teaching on some level.

I can't believe how much energy this process is requiring and there are no guarantees I will even match at one of my top choices. This sucks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough decision! I strongly recommend against picking a program based on their vacation schedule though. Sometimes promised vs actual vacation doesn't actually match up due to availability, rotation schedules, etc. Can be a hassle.

In terms of fellowship, there is nothing that says you need to do a fellowship in the same place you are doing residency. Many people do because they like the area or it is a little easier to get, but there are lots of fellowships out there.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I don't think that it's unfair for your future program if you decide to transfer after one year when your husband's situation is revealed by then. It might be more difficult if the programs are small, but they certainly can adapt and I think your reasons for a transfer certainly would make most people sympathetic. Are you anticipating alot of travelling by your husband on weekends, holidays, etc or just during vacations?

I think if you provide a little more details on your situations like the names of the programs and the cities, maybe more useful advice can be given but that's totally up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
2005 said:
Only a week to go and I still don't know how to rank my programs. Out of 10 interviews, I am pretty sure which programs I will rank last. However, I am having major difficulty ranking 1-6.

My husband will probably be moving to a city I did not get an interview in. The closest (approximately 2 hours on a direct flight) and most convenient program (A) is probably the smallest and least prestigious with minmal fellowship opportunities. I am concerned that this would not be the best career move.

Program B is a little larger with several fellowships. The location is so-so. Further than location A and more expensive airfare, but still a direct flight.

Program C is larger with several fellowships. However, minimal flight time flight time would be 6 hours. Location is somewhat more interesting.

Program D is a larger program further away and with less vacation. However, there are many fellowship options. Again minimum flight time would be at least 6 hours.

Programs E and F are far away with minimal fellowship opportunities, but probably stronger programs than A and in more desirable locations.

I think I would be happy at any of the above programs. So, the big question is how to prioritize? None of the programs are in an area that I would want to stay after completing residency and fellowship as I will want to be where my husband is. I'm not comfortable with the concept of simply getting into a program and then trying to transfer a year later. This seems unfair to my future fellow residents.

The other dilemma is, if my husbands plans fall through, then he would be joining me. That would change my rank order if I knew what was going on before rank list. But alas, that is not to be.

My interest in research is minimal. However, I may be interested in teaching on some level.

I can't believe how much energy this process is requiring and there are no guarantees I will even match at one of my top choices. This sucks!

Very stinky situation. I wouldn't worry about the fellowship part, since it sounds that you might be moving around anyway, and you don't have to worry about uprooting kids after 4 years. If I were you, I'd lean towards going to a strong program in a nice location that your husband wouldn't mind visiting, and even moving to, if his plans don't work out. If you have to get on a plane to see him (and him to see you), no matter if the ride is 2 or 6 hours, you're probably not going to do it every weekend, and the amount of time you actually see your husband may not be all that different.

jeff2005 said:
Very stinky situation. I wouldn't worry about the fellowship part, since it sounds that you might be moving around anyway, and you don't have to worry about uprooting kids after 4 years. If I were you, I'd lean towards going to a strong program in a nice location that your husband wouldn't mind visiting, and even moving to, if his plans don't work out. If you have to get on a plane to see him (and him to see you), no matter if the ride is 2 or 6 hours, you're probably not going to do it every weekend, and the amount of time you actually see your husband may not be all that different.
I agree with jeff here. Whichever way things work out, the fact that you and your husband won't be living under the same roof is an undesirable situation to begin with. Whether you're 2 or 6 hours apart, you're still apart. Hence, I would focus on ranking programs as you see fit based on your priority schemes. If the closest program is the weakest, maybe don't rank them #1. Hopefully you find a solid program that is somewhere in the middle with respect to distance where you will get good training and be happy.

2005 said:
Only a week to go and I still don't know how to rank my programs. Out of 10 interviews, I am pretty sure which programs I will rank last. However, I am having major difficulty ranking 1-6....This sucks!

Staying close is staying happy! :):love:

Awww, what a tough situation for you. If you would honestly be equally happy and well-trained at all of these programs, then distance would be important. But it sounds like these programs vary in terms of strength of training and I think you should take that into consideration. Going to the close but weak program is probably not the best option. I would emphasize quality of training, along with weekends free. Vacation time is good but perhaps less telling in terms of how often you will actually get to visit your husband. Some residents end up coming in for at least one day of pretty much every weekend, thus ruining any getaway plans, while others tend to get entire weekends free, depending on how the schedule is structured. Even a 6 hr flight is do-able for a weekend.

Thanks for all the support. I'm still waiting for divine enlightenment. Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket. Then when I win $50 million, it won't matter! My husband won't have to work and we can go where ever. Never hurts to fantasize!

This isn't much help apart from knowing you're not alone, but in my program, one resident's husband is 1600 miles away, one's husband is overseas, one's wife is 2000+ miles away. Personally, I don't know how they do it, but they seem to be doing ok.