Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffT33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just had a few questions. I'm a 2nd year undergrad at UCLA. I'm not quite done with my pre-reqs but I have around a 3.2 (science) right now. I'm curious as to what you guys think I need on the DAT's to get into a (1) California dental school (2) another decent dental school or (3) a Dental/MBA program. Additionally I'm wondering what types of extracurriculars I can take on to help boost my appeal to these schools. Finally, I'm wondering as to when I should start studying for and actually take the DATs. Thanks a lot for your help and best of luck to those waiting to hear back from schools.

T

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably have a sufficient amount of dental volunteering on your record. As for extracurriculars, they can be anything which you truly enjoy. I heard ceramics, sculpture, etc. looks good because it shows that you work with your hands.

I don't know much about Cali schools but I would say that if you score in the 20s you would probably be good to go. UCLA is a tough school and dental schools definitely factor that in. So even though your science GPA is only a 3.2, from another average college it might be more like a 3.4-3.5.

Also, I do know that UOP stresses the DAT much more than GPA and they look for at least a 20 on each section of the DAT.

Good Luck! :luck:

You should study as if you need to get 30s on the DAT, because it isn't possible to study for an 18 and only get an 18, or study for a 20 and get a 20.

Don't limit yourself, just study like you MUST get 30s.

But to answer your question, I'd say you need a 20 to feel fairly comfortable. But even then you aren't promised anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Any suggestions on when to start studying and when to actually take the DATs?

RuffT33 said:
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Any suggestions on when to start studying and when to actually take the DATs?

I studied for 6 weeks, one week for each section and got 20 across the board basically. I think that is typical if you are on the ball. I would suggest studying about twice that though since you will need a 21 or 22 to get into a california school with your GPA. California schools tend to be the most competitive in the country, plus this year every school has higher than normal averages.

Focus on grades and DAT. Also I think it helped me to apply early. My school was really impressed that I had a very low AADSAS number.