Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdyear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
good evening everyone. so i am freaking out.

my question is do residency programs generally do a background check on their applicants?

i had a dui when i was in college which was supposed to have been expunged from my record if i went through this accelerated rehabilitation program. i don't know why i am second guessing myself, i guess it's because it's coming up soon. i have a pretty good chance of matching well, i just don't want something stupid i did in the past screw it up :(

thank you for the help and words of wisdom in advance.

can't concentrate,

thirdyear

Members don't see this ad.

thirdyear said:
good evening everyone. so i am freaking out.

my question is do residency programs generally do a background check on their applicants?

i had a dui when i was in college which was supposed to have been expunged from my record if i went through this accelerated rehabilitation program. i don't know why i am second guessing myself, i guess it's because it's coming up soon. i have a pretty good chance of matching well, i just don't want something stupid i did in the past screw it up :(

thank you for the help and words of wisdom in advance.

can't concentrate,

thirdyear

You will have to answer that question on your application, if I am not mistaken ("Have you ever been convicted of ....?"). Be honest. Explain your situation and move on. If you choose to hem and haw, do so at your own peril. Interviewers can smell fresh blood in the pond so don't give them a reason to go fishing for more meat.

If you have otherwise been a good person, it shouldn't hurt your chances to match. If you act like an addict or drunk or like someone with something to hide, and believe me I have seen some very bizarre people on the interview trail, you will scuttle your chances.

Many states will do background checks. If they come up with something that you omitted you will be in a deep pile of sh#t!! Medical boards react well when you are forthcoming and honest, but if you try to hide something it can bite you in the ass! They can put restrictions on your license for omitting things like that becuase they think you are trying to cover up. You are a complete fool if you try to cover it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
gaslady said:
Many states will do background checks. If they come up with something that you omitted you will be in a deep pile of sh#t!! Medical boards react well when you are forthcoming and honest, but if you try to hide something it can bite you in the ass! They can put restrictions on your license for omitting things like that becuase they think you are trying to cover up. You are a complete fool if you try to cover it up.

Happened to a friend of mine who omitted being placed on academic probation, but in fact the institution was at fault. The Texas state board still hasn't granted him a license 6 months after he sent in a completed application. As an aside, the Texas state board is ******ed.