help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmano

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI
I am fresh graduate of 2005 from Pakistan n i want to practice medicine in Canadais there anyone who can guide me about it the books require for it an other material?
is it true that there sre very less chances for Imgs to get residency there after clearing MCCEE andMCCQE? is it true that in some provinces it is easy to get residency rather then in others?? n about how many time is required for a fresh graduate to start his career as a doctar there?
my last question is how can i become an oncologist there??
plz do reply me
takecarenthanks in advance
drmano

Members don't see this ad.

drmano said:
HI
I am fresh graduate of 2005 from Pakistan n i want to practice medicine in Canadais there anyone who can guide me about it the books require for it an other material?
is it true that there sre very less chances for Imgs to get residency there after clearing MCCEE andMCCQE? is it true that in some provinces it is easy to get residency rather then in others?? n about how many time is required for a fresh graduate to start his career as a doctar there?
plz do reply me
drmano
Hey there,

although I'm only a lowly medical student, I feel my reply is worth more than no replies. Keep in mind that I personally know a few IMGs who are practicing here.

- Concerning the books, I can't help you there. Sorry. Having contacts with the faculty is a huge bonus though, but very few people have that.

- Yes, it's true that there are less chances for IMGs to get a residency here even after clearing the required exams. However, I know at least 3 IMGs who are now practicing medicine here, and while it's a lot more difficult for IMGs, it still can be done. You'll have to make plenty of sacrifices and you really need both patience and some luck to get a decent spot.

- Yes, it's easier in some provinces and harder in some others. From what I've heard (take this with a grain of salt), Quebec is a lot harder than the english-speaking provinces. That's pretty much all I know about this.

- It will be really difficult to become an oncologist here, since it's relatively competitive.

Hope that helps you somehow. Good luck !

In Canada, you apply for Oncology in third year of Internal medicine residency. Competition for IM positions is fairly intense and it is not uncommon for CMGs to go to US for IM. In addition, there are very few spots available for Oncology residency. Passing the MCCE is not the major challenge as eventually 67% of IMGs will eventually pass the exams.

The huge barrier is the competition among IMGs for the very limited residency positions available. To maintain high standards and for governments to control medical expenditure, All IMGs except American Board certified must go through residency in Canada. This is a highly competitive process, as there are already 10,000 IMGs trying to practise in Canada. In addition, Canadian students who have gone to Australia, UK, Ireland and Caribbean, etc schools will also be included in IMG pool.

To place the situation in perspective, the average entrance requirement for admission to a major Canadian medical school is presently GPA of 3.7 out of 4 after four years of university, with MCAT score of 33. Many with average of over 90% do not even get an interview due to taking easy courses and/or lack of other achievements. For those students who are interviewed, I have been informed that only one in three/four will be accepted. Students who have the money will go overseas, and try to return for their residency after doing rotations in US or Canada to make contacts with Faculties.

Thus Canadian students are facing tremendous uncertainty in entering medical school, and for IMGs it is to obtain residency position.

drmano said:
HI
plz do reply me
drmano

thanks for the help of u guys :)