help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parag

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a 23 mcat score and have a 3.6 gps with a 3.4 math science. I have done 3 semesters of biological research and was a teaching assistant for general biology and embryology. Is this enough to get in, or do I have to take my mcat's again?

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to try taking it again. A lot of schools have a minimum of 26 to get an interview.

No, don't take it again again unless you just want to. I got six interviews and two admissions with similar scores. I know a lot of people who had less and did fine. Unless you want in at Harvard, don't worry. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
bluejay:

u gotta be kidding me... i got a 23 too (5v 9p 9b) and im freaking out also... in what circumstances were you offered acceptance?
when and where did u apply and when and where did u get waitlisted and or interviewed and finally accepted

plz dont be bs-ing cuz if you are.... U suck!!! :confused:

I had a 24 the first time, then a 22 the second. Kiss of DEATH! I am starting at the University of Health Science School of Osteopathic Medicine this fall. I applied in June, sent my supplemental in in August, interviewed and was accepted in October. I also had 3.7GPA, hospital experience, volunteer work, leadership roles, and good letters of recommendation. MD schools did invite me for interviews, but I chose UHS because I believe in Osteopathic Medicine. If you take the test again, I'd invest in Kaplan and study VERY hard! Good luck!

Hi kristina,

were there any consequences you had to suffer because your mcat score dropped 2 points the second time you took it?
:confused:

I had similar scores and GPA-

My advice is- APPLY EARLY and get your primary and secondary applications in as fast as you can. In the mean time work in an ostepathic doctor's office. Many schools look for a letter of recomendation from an ostepath. Also- NAG the admissions department and stay on top of your applictaion.

GOOD LUCK!! :eek:

I think I was more UPSET than anyone about the drop in scores! BUT..I was accepted EARLY to my first choice of schools! Personally, I do not see any consequences!

If you have not taken the MCAT yet, set a goal to only take it once! Don't think, "I'll take it and see how I do, then take it again." It is PAINFUL once and MISERABLE the second time!

If you are taking it a second time, set up a study plan that corresponds to the time of day you'll take the test. (ie, verbal at 8:00am, Physical Sciences around 10:00)I work nights (7P-7A), and studied the nights I have off. Not a good idea! I'm much more awake at 1:00am than 1:00pm! Also, purchase the MCAT exams for review from AMCAS. Take Kaplan or Princeton, but be careful: I was told the UNDERPREPARE students! Then, just take a deep breathe and do it!

Anyone who wants to be a physician will...

Hey Realruby2000:

No I AM NOT kidding. I applied in July to the DO schools I wanted to go to and the MD schools in my state to take advantage of my residency status. I got interviews at KCOM, PCOM, Nova, U of Illinois, Southern Illinios U., and LECOM. I didn't go to the interviews at KCOM and PCOM. I got in at U of I and Nova.

From my experience, once a person gets into the "average" range with their scores (3.0 and up for grades and 23 and up for MCAT), the admissions committees are looking for the extra curriculars, a sincere concern and understanding of osteopathic medicine, poise and maturity. If I were you, I would concentrate on good essays and practice being interviewed.

I know that my interviews made all the difference for me. Even though my scores were not as competitive, I had sincere interest in medicine and helping others and I was able to easily communicate that to the interviewers. My pre-med committee held mock interviews that were very helpful. I would reccommend doing that if you can.

Everybody has good grades, but, especially with osteopathic medicine, the admissions committees are looking for something more in their students.

There were/are classmates of mine who had stronger GPA's and MCAT scores than I did who didn't get in to medical school. Don't forget that on top of everything else, getting in is a big gamble. Just pray (if you do) that your app gets read by the right person.

...and one more thing APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!

Parag,
i had similar scores myself, though i took the MCAT twice like some others. 24 MCAT and a 3.65 GPA...not sure what my science GPA was, but i think around 3.8. at any rate, i had my applications in as early as possible, primaries in mid-July and secondaries in as soon as i received them.

also, i've always been involved in as much extra activities as possible...shadowing DO's, TAing, SGA, doing undergrad research, etc. and i was accepted at both LECOM and PCOM...i'm going to PCOM. i didn't apply to any MD schools b/c i was positive i wanted to go DO.

however, like Bluejay said, i know it was my interviews that clinched my acceptances. you have to go in and show (honestly, of course) that you have a sincere and passionate desire to learn and practice medicine. in my case, i was also well prepared to explain why i was drawn to osteopathy over allopathy.

so overall Parag, i would say you have a good chance. if you're just now applying, start getting everything in NOW! remember, the earlier the better. hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!

Scott