Help :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalymahasha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recentley graduated from high school. I am looking to pursue a career in Psychiatry. I have a few questions about college AND medical school.

First, This my be a stupid question, but I've read that Medical Schools encourage a wide area of undergraduate study. Would it be a good idea to major in psychology in order to pursue psychiatry or would I receive (sorry for the redundancy) psych training in Medical school?

Second, What do rotations consist of?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

kalymahasha said:
Hello,

I recentley graduated from high school. I am looking to pursue a career in Psychiatry. I have a few questions about college AND medical school.

First, This my be a stupid question, but I've read that Medical Schools encourage a wide area of undergraduate study. Would it be a good idea to major in psychology in order to pursue psychiatry or would I receive (sorry for the redundancy) psych training in Medical school?

Second, What do rotations consist of?

Thanks in advance :)

Medical school gets you about 20 hours or so of clinical psych lectures. You will get a much broader exposure to behavioral sciences if you majored in psych as an undergrad, although this is by no means necessary to pursue psychiatry.

Med school rotations in psych are usually in the 3rd year, and involve 4-6 weeks of work, usually on an inpatient psych unit, evaluating and observing the treatment of psychiatric patients under the supervision if an attending physician and usually residents as well. Call is usually minimal, limited to evening and weekend evaluations and admissions.

OldPsychDoc said:
Medical school gets you about 20 hours or so of clinical psych lectures. You will get a much broader exposure to behavioral sciences if you majored in psych as an undergrad, although this is by no means necessary to pursue psychiatry.

Med school rotations in psych are usually in the 3rd year, and involve 4-6 weeks of work, usually on an inpatient psych unit, evaluating and observing the treatment of psychiatric patients under the supervision if an attending physician and usually residents as well. Call is usually minimal, limited to evening and weekend evaluations and admissions.

Thanks you so much. That was very helpful. I'll probably have many more questions in the future. So be on the look out. hehe :D