Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucy2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I just found out that I failed COMLEX 3 for the second time!
First time - did not study = failed by 4 questions
Second time - studied kaplan USMLE step 3 questions A LOT = failed by 26 questions.
What to do the third time?? Woe is me....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,
I just found out that I failed COMLEX 3 for the second time!
First time - did not study = failed by 4 questions
Second time - studied kaplan USMLE step 3 questions A LOT = failed by 26 questions.
What to do the third time?? Woe is me....

that was your biggest detriment, studying Kaplan. Worthless, absolutely and completely garbage for step 3, useless and worthless junk so much so, that LITERALLY you could watch the discovery channel, and House, and ER and learn much more and score probably even much higher. Kaplan everything is worthless, even the Qbook, its ok, but I would rather use it as a door stopper, it would serve more purpose.
First of all, it depends on how far away you are from step 2 knowledge, second of all, Primary care residency, such as Peds IM or FM can be a big advantage, but you need alot more than that, diligence and patience, might I suggest the following

1) Premier Review
2) Premier Review
3) Premier Review
4) USMLE World mcqs.
5) part of Swanson's book, Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, Women's health
6) if you have it MKSAP 13, the primary care book is the only one of the series that you need
7) and last but not least, a consolidated source of information, maybe First Aid or Crush. use one and stick to it.
study like 1 to 2 more months, USMLE World is the best for step 3. Premier Review notes rock.
7.5) do the nbme practice test, its an excellent evaluation, score somewhere above 400 and you are safe, albeit know of much less that scored in the mid eighties. Yes moreso this course emphasizes the USMLE (Premier Review) but its essentially the same exact information, albeit USMLE in my opinion is tougher, its a two day test, plus the ccs portion can either save you or make your grade go down. Comlex is tricky too though.
8) good luck, stay positive pm me me if any other questions, or best answered here. :cool:

Wow, great advice, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that! I did take the (ONLY) nbome practice test (in the whole world) and scored 70% of the questions right. I scored around 60-70% of the questions right on Q-bank practice tests. Don't ask me how I managed to completely sabotage myself on actual test day. Have you heard any good (or bad) things about the COMLEX board study book, not first aid but the other one? I ordered it online yesterday, should get it tomorrow. Amazon.com reviews were great for step 3. Premier Review sounds like the ticket, though.

Thanks again... and if you should happen to come across any other little tidbits that may help, like you know, DIVINE INTERVENTION... please throw it my way... ;)

Wow, great advice, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that! I did take the (ONLY) nbome practice test (in the whole world) and scored 70% of the questions right. I scored around 60-70% of the questions right on Q-bank practice tests. Don't ask me how I managed to completely sabotage myself on actual test day. Have you heard any good (or bad) things about the COMLEX board study book, not first aid but the other one? I ordered it online yesterday, should get it tomorrow. Amazon.com reviews were great for step 3. Premier Review sounds like the ticket, though.

Thanks again... and if you should happen to come across any other little tidbits that may help, like you know, DIVINE INTERVENTION... please throw it my way... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

NMS isnt bad too -- usually trickier than the real thing, Premier aint the sole ticket, I think that Kaplan step 2 ck notes for surgery and trauma, and Peds or Ob are good. Premier is quite skimpy on Ob Gyn, in my opinion sufficient information is there, Medicine is amazing, Peds and Ob Gyn and Psych and Trauma Surgery from step 2 ck notes should suffice.

Premier is an actual course, right? I've heard you cant just get the books. Did you take the entire board prep course? I just found out that because I failed step 3 twice I can never get lisencure in Alaska. Not that I want to, but it's scary how I've already flawed myself by failing such a crap shoot of a test! I haven't even finshed residency and I've already limited my geographical choices. What if I fail again just because I'm so freaked out? I so need a xanax...

Premier is an actual course, right? I've heard you cant just get the books. Did you take the entire board prep course? I just found out that because I failed step 3 twice I can never get lisencure in Alaska. Not that I want to, but it's scary how I've already flawed myself by failing such a crap shoot of a test! I haven't even finshed residency and I've already limited my geographical choices. What if I fail again just because I'm so freaked out? I so need a xanax...

yes I am sure that you will miss Alaska j/k.
Premier is a course, you can get the notes from the course, or take the course... I think that the course was great, but if you have the notes from somebody that attended the course, and has ALL of the notes, then and only then its beneficial, otherwise its incomplete and big time. They give you like 1000 qs during the course, that are hy, sort of, they help you think about the questions, and alot of the pointers were very beneficial. but it is lacking in Ob Gyn, Psych, Peds, and Trauma / Surgery, albeit it does have very worthwhile pointers for those sections also. You dont need Xanax, you just need confidence. If you freak out, then this is exactly where they want you. Afraid. You can just get the notes, and CD rom, and then listen to it and read it as many times as you want to. But I do highly recommend other sources for the aboveformentioned aspects, such as Kaplan step 2 ck notes. Do USMLE World those questions rock..

OK, just to clarify before I spend yet another ridiculous amount of money on this test... you used Premier review for COMLEX 3, Not USMLE 3, right?

OK, just to clarify before I spend yet another ridiculous amount of money on this test... you used Premier review for COMLEX 3, Not USMLE 3, right?

both actually -- I am a USMD -- and did it for USMLE, but I know of a few DO candidates that did it for COMLEX and were successful also, Comlex candidates have been very successful with Premier Review, then again, they might have studied other stuff beforehand, such as the aforementioned Kaplan notes for those sections, but then again Medicine you cannot get better than Premier. Plus for Comlex you can just bypass the ccs stuff, and hone in on the core material. Its a commitment, and its expensive, then again its up to you...... good luck dude..