help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused hoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i am pgy1 peds resident. i donot have pathology experience, i have worked as family physiscian in my country. i want to switch to pathology next year. 2009, after completing 2 yrs of peds residency. how can i improve my chances.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

what is up with these forum handles.

confused ho...oRLY?

Confused hoo. Not confused ho. Like Cindy Lou Hoo, who is no more than two.

To respond to the original question, you would likely need things to convince pathology PDs that you are interested in pathology, like visiting rotations, observerships, research, other experience. Having good board scores and recommendations (from pathologists) always helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
i am pgy1 peds resident. i donot have pathology experience, i have worked as family physiscian in my country. i want to switch to pathology next year. 2009, after completing 2 yrs of peds residency. how can i improve my chances.

thanks

I agree with the advice of yaah above. I think you should definitely try to get at least one letter of recommendation from a pathologist.
Also, since you started in peds you are limited to only three years of full GME funding. You have already used up one year. If you go through a second year of peds you will only have one year of full funding left. I have seen residents switch from primary care residencies (peds, FP, IM) into pathology but the funding limitations may be a handicap. It might be wise to call a pathology residency program director for advice regarding your situation.
I recommend you go to the following site:
http://www.amsa.org/pdf/Medicare_GME.pdf
Good luck.

Last edited:
hi
i am pgy1 peds resident. i donot have pathology experience, i have worked as family physiscian in my country. i want to switch to pathology next year.

Here's a question for you. Why do you want to switch to pathology if you have no experience in the area? How do you know you'll even like it?

I agree that you should probably do an elective in pathology, preferably at a hospital that trains residents. It's much more than just sitting around a microscope & looking at slides w/ an attending.

----- Antony