Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snd08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Here is my situation. I have a 2.9 gpa with a bacholers degree. I got a D in GChem1 the first semester, Physics 1 I got a C- and I just retook both of those classes at a harder school and I got a B in GChem and I might get a B in Physics. I also took a genetics class at the harder school and I might end up with a C!!! Im really worried that it might look bad on my part because the schools that I talked to wanted me to take upper level classes and they obviously don't want to see any Cs from those classes. Anyone have this problem or can give me any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had one C in my pre req classes and I retook two classes and made A's in both and I have interviews at UHCO and SCO in January. They understand that these things happen with a low GPA make sure that you score well on your OAT to compensate. I would also recommend that if you are having trouble with these pre req's to get help. The school I go to offers free tutoring and has someone for each of the core sci subjects. Find study groups or ask someone that has already taken the class with that professor for help or tips. You really need get as much from your lower level chemistry and biology classes or else you will not understand the upper level science classes.

Hey guys

Here is my situation. I have a 2.9 gpa with a bacholers degree. I got a D in GChem1 the first semester, Physics 1 I got a C- and I just retook both of those classes at a harder school and I got a B in GChem and I might get a B in Physics. I also took a genetics class at the harder school and I might end up with a C!!! Im really worried that it might look bad on my part because the schools that I talked to wanted me to take upper level classes and they obviously don't want to see any Cs from those classes. Anyone have this problem or can give me any advice? Thanks!

along with bringing up your grades you will want to explain why you got the D in your "personal statement" or one of the application essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
along with bringing up your grades you will want to explain why you got the D in your "personal statement" or one of the application essays.

I disagree with that. If you take upper level courses and do well, it is best to not bring attention to the D in your first year. If they bring it up in an interview, explain it but I would not specifically mention it.

I disagree with that. If you take upper level courses and do well, it is best to not bring attention to the D in your first year. If they bring it up in an interview, explain it but I would not specifically mention it.

I agree with this response... I did a very quick skim over my imperfect grades in my personal statement saying that I, like many college students, had challenges outside of school from my family and personal relationships that impacted my school. I mainly focused on my optometry experience (such as assisting removing rust from patient’s eye). If you have experience let them know through personal stories of what you have seen rather then telling them what you know.