Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ashlander, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ashlander

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I guess I am a nontraditional student since I was gone from school for 2.5 years for Army(international student). I came back to school in Spring of 2007 and worked very hard to get my GPA up from GPA before Army. (I had 2.1 cum for the first 2 years) :thumbdown:
    After I came back from Army, I got 4.0, 3.235, 4.0, 3.8 for 4 semesters plus two summers (3.4, 3.33) as well as some shadowing(around 100 hours so far).
    Now that the finals are over, I calculated my GPA the way AADSAS is going to do in May when I apply..turns out to be.. 3.4117 BCP, 3.1788 cum, and 3.1785 sci.
    So far, I have taken 2 gBio(A, B), gchem(B, B) + lab(A), ochem(B, A) + 1 lab(A), phys 1(B), biochem(A), and anatomy(B) for my science (I had no BCP before Army). I will be taking microbio, ochem lab2, and 1 more bio in spring.
    My school calculates GPA differently (3.4 now after retakes), and I am really depressed right now. I thought I would have a chance next cycle but my GPA turns out to be a lot lower than I expected....:(
    I haven't taken DAT yet but will be taking it in Spring 09 before applying in May 09.
    You experts think I will have a shot??
    I need some advice...to increase my chances and be more competitive..:scared:
    Thanks in advance!

#1 ashlander, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You're showing the nice "upward trend" thing -- "post military you" is a more experienced and mature student (make sure to emphasize that in your personal statement). That kinda stuff looks good. Just do well on the DAT and you can get in somewhere. Aim for 20's, dont stess with 19's, maybe think of retaking with 18's or below imo.

4. polarmolar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great advice.

5. ashlander

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You are saying that they would still consider me since I have an upward trend?? :love::love::love:
    I heard that schools don't even bother looking at an application if it has like sub 3.2 GPA or sub 18 DAT (not 100% certain on these numbers).
    I am afraid that cutoff will prevent them from seeing my upward trend at all..:xf:

anyone else ????

6. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I do remember for sure that some schools look positively at an upward trend in GPA. I have heard it from the admissions people in UW SOD.

7. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Congrats on the excellent tread. You need to achieve 20+ on the DAT to compensate for your GPA. Also, look on predents and avoid schools like Nova who do reject with a lower GPA. Apply EARLY! Submit in May.

8. ashlander

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    advice anyone else?:confused: