Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashlander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I am a nontraditional student since I was gone from school for 2.5 years for Army(international student). I came back to school in Spring of 2007 and worked very hard to get my GPA up from GPA before Army. (I had 2.1 cum for the first 2 years) :thumbdown:
After I came back from Army, I got 4.0, 3.235, 4.0, 3.8 for 4 semesters plus two summers (3.4, 3.33) as well as some shadowing(around 100 hours so far).
Now that the finals are over, I calculated my GPA the way AADSAS is going to do in May when I apply..turns out to be.. 3.4117 BCP, 3.1788 cum, and 3.1785 sci.
So far, I have taken 2 gBio(A, B), gchem(B, B) + lab(A), ochem(B, A) + 1 lab(A), phys 1(B), biochem(A), and anatomy(B) for my science (I had no BCP before Army). I will be taking microbio, ochem lab2, and 1 more bio in spring.
My school calculates GPA differently (3.4 now after retakes), and I am really depressed right now. I thought I would have a chance next cycle but my GPA turns out to be a lot lower than I expected....:(
I haven't taken DAT yet but will be taking it in Spring 09 before applying in May 09.
You experts think I will have a shot??
I need some advice...to increase my chances and be more competitive..:scared:
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're showing the nice "upward trend" thing -- "post military you" is a more experienced and mature student (make sure to emphasize that in your personal statement). That kinda stuff looks good. Just do well on the DAT and you can get in somewhere. Aim for 20's, dont stess with 19's, maybe think of retaking with 18's or below imo.

You're showing the nice "upward trend" thing -- "post military you" is a more experienced and mature student (make sure to emphasize that in your personal statement). That kinda stuff looks good. Just do well on the DAT and you can get in somewhere. Aim for 20's, dont stess with 19's, maybe think of retaking with 18's or below imo.

Great advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're showing the nice "upward trend" thing
You are saying that they would still consider me since I have an upward trend?? :love::love::love:
I heard that schools don't even bother looking at an application if it has like sub 3.2 GPA or sub 18 DAT (not 100% certain on these numbers).
I am afraid that cutoff will prevent them from seeing my upward trend at all..:xf:

anyone else ????

You are saying that they would still consider me since I have an upward trend?? :love::love::love:
I heard that schools don't even bother looking at an application if it has like sub 3.2 GPA or sub 18 DAT (not 100% certain on these numbers).
I am afraid that cutoff will prevent them from seeing my upward trend at all..:xf:

anyone else ????

I do remember for sure that some schools look positively at an upward trend in GPA. I have heard it from the admissions people in UW SOD.

Congrats on the excellent tread. You need to achieve 20+ on the DAT to compensate for your GPA. Also, look on predents and avoid schools like Nova who do reject with a lower GPA. Apply EARLY! Submit in May.