Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positive1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
27 MCAT, 3.3 GPA (business major) and 3.4 science GPA. Average grade for the business school is 3.3..low...do I still have a chance :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

27 MCAT, 3.3 GPA (business major) and 3.4 science GPA. Average grade for the business school is 3.3..low...do I still have a chance :confused:

Probably not for US MD, for DO, absolutely.

Was your MCAT unexpectedly low? Or were you averaging that on your practice tests? If it is US MD you want, you would need to retake that MCAT, at least a 31 IMO, to give you a fighting chance at the least selective schools, and perhaps your state schools (unless you are from CA, MA, or TX).

Also consider an SMP, or postbac, to help the GPA. However, a strong MCAT (33+) can 'compensate' for that GPA.

Thank you Camaras2480. I was averaging 31...took a Kaplan course...I am retaking in August...any suggestions? Have to apply with September rush...no choice..sending primary apps now...have research experience for 3 years, clinical exp and service 2 years...other EC's too...depressed..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Camaras2480. I was averaging 31...took a Kaplan course...I am retaking in August...any suggestions? Have to apply with September rush...no choice..sending primary apps now...have research experience for 3 years, clinical exp and service 2 years...other EC's too...depressed..

Tell more about those ECs. Research for 3 years, got posters? presentations? publications? Clinical exp/service - what did you do? How strong are these experiences? Leadership? Clubs/activities? And where are you from? And, male or female? urm? age?

Way too early to be depressed. That retake is where the answer lies. If you are depressed now, you will screw up that retake. Don't worry about anything other than that MCAT at this point.

In the meantime, send your primary to only one school, so that, in case your MCAT isn't good again, you don't blow your first shot at a whole bunch of schools. After your new MCAT score is available, if you are happy with your score, you can add all your other schools - they will get your new MCAT score within ~2 business days, so you don't lose much time.

Keep your head up, and own that MCAT. :xf: for you! :luck:

Tell more about those ECs. Research for 3 years, got posters? presentations? publications? Clinical exp/service - what did you do? How strong are these experiences? Leadership? Clubs/activities? And where are you from? And, male or female? urm? age?

Way too early to be depressed. That retake is where the answer lies. If you are depressed now, you will screw up that retake. Don't worry about anything other than that MCAT at this point.

In the meantime, send your primary to only one school, so that, in case your MCAT isn't good again, you don't blow your first shot at a whole bunch of schools. After your new MCAT score is available, if you are happy with your score, you can add all your other schools - they will get your new MCAT score within ~2 business days, so you don't lose much time.

Keep your head up, and own that MCAT. :xf: for you! :luck:

Thank you for that awesome advise. I am over that score....back to working on MCAT....