keyslammer

Medical Transcriptionist
Aug 22, 2009
Houston, Texas
sites.google.com
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Maybe one of you Med students can help me here. I'm a medical transcriptionist and I am stuck. In all my 27 years transcribing medical reports I have NEVER heard of this term for an umbilical hernia and I have Googled, Gawgled and looked everywhere. This guy is ESL so perhaps he is saying something that is very common, but everything I come up with sounds nothing like what it sounds like he's saying.

This is an H and P on a 68-year-old Caucasian male with rectal bleeding.

The doctor is doing the physical examination on the history and physical report and says the patient has a (sounds like) fakette hedium umbilical hernia.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE?:smuggrin: I despise leaving blanks.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe one of you Med students can help me here. I'm a medical transcriptionist and I am stuck. In all my 27 years transcribing medical reports I have NEVER heard of this term for an umbilical hernia and I have Googled, Gawgled and looked everywhere. This guy is ESL so perhaps he is saying something that is very common, but everything I come up with sounds nothing like what it sounds like he's saying.

This is an H and P on a 68-year-old Caucasian male with rectal bleeding.

The doctor is doing the physical examination on the history and physical report and says the patient has a (sounds like) fakette hedium umbilical hernia.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE?:smuggrin: I despise leaving blanks.
Incarcerated? Reducible? Irreducible? Strangulated? Some measurement in cm's?

keyslammer

Medical Transcriptionist
Aug 22, 2009
Houston, Texas
sites.google.com
Status
No, it's not possible that it's any of the common, more standard types...well, unless he was reverting back to his native language. :D Now THAT could possibly be what happened...didn't think about that. I appreciate the feedback. I really do. I ended up having to leave the ominous blank. I'll come back and post what QA comes up with IF they can even come up with it. Thanks again! Happy doctoring!

keyslammer

Medical Transcriptionist
Aug 22, 2009
Houston, Texas
sites.google.com
Status
How QA got this out of what the doctor said I will NEVER know in a million years, but the blank was "sac containing".

It's so hard to transcribe for this gentleman because of his heavy middle eastern accent and he constantly yawns and tries to talk at the same time.
Every time his name pops up on my screen a cold chill goes down my spine. :scared:

You all who tried to help are so kind. I appreciate it very much. Medicine is a team effort from the little guys (me) all the way up the chain to you all. :)

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I am frequently amazed by how transcriptions are able to correctly decipher some of my attending dictations.