Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarttee88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad student transfering from a CC this fall (hopefully) to a University. I am currently enrolled for the semester and everything is set and ready to go-except the finances. I was not awarded enough aid for the year and my parents were denied the ParentPLUS loan. I am going to try and apply for private loans but my credit is nowhere near great and I'm not sure if I would be approved to borrow from any lenders. I need advice on where to go from here and if there are any lenders who will loan to applicants who do not have outstanding credit. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to your school's fin aid office with your latest news? They know the most about you and your financial situation.

That said, you may qualify for additional Stafford loans now that your PLUS application was denied:

"[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]If a dependent student's parents are denied a PLUS loan, or the college financial aid administrator determines that the parents are likely to be denied a PLUS loan, the student becomes eligible for increased unsubsidized Stafford Loan limits." -- http://www.finaid.org/loans/parentloan.phtml

I agree with the previous poster. If you need more on top of that (up to your cost of attendance) you will need to go with a private loan plus cosigner. If your cost of attendance doesn't cover your budget, then you need to talk to the financial aid office to get it raised.