Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay everyone I need some advice! Sorry for how long this might be. I was planning on going to Gannon University in Erie this fall, I sent in my deposit in April and even though I got waitlisted at a few places, I had the mindset that I was going to Gannon. I was slightly upset about it because of how expensive it is... $108K for all 3 years! But then I started getting excited because I got my schedule and the book list, found a roommate and apartment, and someone who went to my high school goes to the med school that is 10 minutes away so that would be nice to have someone to hang out with outside of the program.

But, today I got a call from someone at Shenandoah University saying someone had declined this morning and she was calling to offer me the spot. I love this program and the area of Winchester, VA, and told myself if I ever got off the waitlist that I would most definitely decline from Gannon and go to Shenandoah. Now that it's happening, I'm unsure of what to do. Shenandoah is about $78K for all 3 years. It's a little farther from home than Gannon is from home (which doesn't necessarily matter to me... I think I just feel weird for some reason that it's in a different state. I've lived in PA my whole life.) I called about housing and was told there are not many spots available, and I don't know if I'd be able to find a roommate and place to live this late in the game. I don't know anything about the cost of living, how many books I'd need, what other necessities I'd need for the program (vaccines, medical supplies such as BP cuff & lab coat if the program doesn't provide them which is the case with Gannon.)

Ahh.. too much to think about! I feel like I should go with my first instinct and choose Shenandoah, especially because of the price difference. But I'd feel terrible ditching my roommate, especially because she already got ditched by someone in April who originally chose Gannon but then got accepted somewhere else. And there's SOOO many things I'd need to work out with classes starting in a month and a half!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm always the type who wonders about what could have been...so if you had your heart set on this program I would go for it! After you figure everything out with housing and books you will be happy you went with your gut.

IMO, this is a time for you to be selfish and just think about yourself and no one else. I say that only because of the situation you described. You should do what you want to do and everything will work out if you want it to.

Good luck to ya. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I live about an hour north of Shenandoah and as far as the cost of living is concerned its not too bad. I have a 3 bedroom townhouse for $1050 up here, so you will be fine finding an apartment in that area for a pretty decent price with or without a roommate. Winchester is a great area...It's close enough to DC and other fun things, but without the traffic and the cost of living associated with this area.

If Shenandoah is originally the place you had your heart set on, then I would take the plunge. Sure, it's last minute, but you will be able to figure it out and everything will fall into place just fine. Besides, if the tuition is $30,000 difference, then all the more reason to go...

Good luck! If I don't get into Duke, I'm applying to Shenandoah--its a great program with lots of new facilities and awesome faculty and fantastic affiliations! :)

Dont go to shenandoah, so maybe i'll get a call on Monday when you decline :p.

No seriously, choose where you'd rather be. Im thinking about dumping my potential roomates to go to another school, I dont really feel bad about it:oops:.

And if shenandoah ever called me, id be there in a heart beat.

side note, I received an email from Linda that they closed their alternate list, I just assumed if someone decided not to go last minute they would just continue with smaller class size. Does this mean the alternate list still has life after all?

Ah!!! When I saw this, I was hoping you were going to say that Chatham called you!!! :p Anyway, I agree- I think you need to do what's best FOR YOU. I am the type of person who hates to hurt anyone's feelings, so I would probably feel a little upset about the roommate situation, but honestly... If you feel that you belong somewhere other than Gannon (with a considerably cheaper tuition!) then GO FOR IT! :)

Thanks everyone! I guess I just need to hear it from other people. I accepted yesterday and have been scrambling to find a place to live... there's like nothing available! But I know I'll figure it out.

Jbizzle- when I talked to Linda she said the alternate list is closed, except for me and like 2 others they decided to leave on it just in case. Sorry you didn't get the news you wanted. Shenandoah's missin out!