Helpful hints

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurrayButler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which texts do you guys/girls consider a must read before rotations/externships? Also, even if they aren't a must, any that would be very helpful would be gladly accepted? Also, any classic articles that you have been grilled on in your experiences would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Which texts do you guys/girls consider a must read before rotations/externships? Also, even if they aren't a must, any that would be very helpful would be gladly accepted? Also, any classic articles that you have been grilled on in your experiences would help.

I'm a big fan of the Pocket Podiatrics. It is a quick and dirty review and does have some inaccuracies but overall it is nice.

I did nothing to prepare before going out. But I also knew nothing my first month.

While I was out I read...

1. Podiatry Institute ( I like it better than Pocket Pod because it has a spiral binding)

2. The Residency Review Manual (interview questions directly from here)

3. Presby and Hershy's Review

4. Foot and Ankle Secrets

5. Traumatology Classifications from the Cali school

As for articles...

mostly anything that has lead to a classification or list.

Examples:

Lauge Hansen - ankle fractures

Danis Weber - ankle fractures

Salter Harris - epiphyseal fractures

Berndt Hardy - talar dome fractures

Hawkins - talar neck fractures

Wagner - ulcer grades

U of T - ulcer grades

Charcot classifications

Gustillo Anderson - open fractures

and many many more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand?

Just a comment. It offers little to understanding or treatment of Charcot. I guess I should ask what classification you are talking about. I assumed you were talking about the zones affect, but you could have been talking about the 4 stages.

Just a comment. It offers little to understanding or treatment of Charcot. I guess I should ask what classification you are talking about. I assumed you were talking about the zones affect, but you could have been talking about the 4 stages.

Eikenholtz

there are about 5 classifications though.

And do you know what stage 0 is of the 4 stages? Know what it is and who named it.

Great thread topic! This is very good stuff.

How did you guys get ahold of the Residency Review Manual and Cali Trauma Classifications, though? I got Presby and Hershey from upperclassmen already and I know you can order the PI manual, F&A secrets, Pocket Pod, etc from their websites. I haven't heard anything about R R Manual or the Cali Trauma, though. Do they have ISBN# or do you just have to copy them from upperclassmen?

Also, are there any books you guys liked for 3rd year gen med and gen sx rotations? I am reading Bates for PD class of course, Essentials of Surgery (very good!) for my Surg Principles class, and I also like How to be a Truly Excellent Third Year Medical Student as pocket reading in my free time to learn about hospital structure and teaching setups. Did anyone try the more advanced physician diagnostics books like Sapira or DeGowin... or am probably I better off just reading Bates and buying pod-specific literature?

You are correct. Classifications that are purely anatomic or descriptive are mostly useless. A classification should also be prognostic, like the UT ulcer or Gustilo-Anderson schemas.

Great thread topic! This is very good stuff.

How did you guys get ahold of the Residency Review Manual and Cali Trauma Classifications, though? I got Presby and Hershey from upperclassmen already and I know you can order the PI manual, F&A secrets, Pocket Pod, etc from their websites. I haven't heard anything about R R Manual or the Cali Trauma, though. Do they have ISBN# or do you just have to copy them from upperclassmen?

Also, are there any books you guys liked for 3rd year gen med and gen sx rotations? I am reading Bates for PD class of course, Essentials of Surgery (very good!) for my Surg Principles class, and I also like How to be a Truly Excellent Third Year Medical Student as pocket reading in my free time to learn about hospital structure and teaching setups. Did anyone try the more advanced physician diagnostics books like Sapira or DeGowin... or am probably I better off just reading Bates and buying pod-specific literature?

I got the cali classifications from a cali student and the RR from a scholl student.

Eikenholtz

there are about 5 classifications though.

And do you know what stage 0 is of the 4 stages? Know what it is and who named it.

I know that Yu wrote a great article on it. It is an increase in temp and inflammation of a LE. It is consistent with the beginning of a Charcot event. A nasal shot of calcitonin or a bisphosphonate should be used to settle the flare up.

Did you know that Ca++ and Vitamin D have a paradoxical relationship to blood sugar levels? This is could be another major factor. We always talk about vasodilation and neuropathic but we don't think that maybe they just have poopie bone too.

You are correct. Classifications that are purely anatomic or descriptive are mostly useless. A classification should also be prognostic, like the UT ulcer or Gustilo-Anderson schemas.

:thumbup: We think alike. Of course academically, everyone like to pimp us on some very useless classifications.