Helpful undergrad books

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To all the current optometry students:

What undergraduate books do you recommend holding on to for optometry school?

I am one of those nerds that did not sell books back in fear I may need them for reference later. I also took a couple of years off after graduation so I'm sure to be a little rusty in some areas. What text books did you find yourself referring back to/wishing you could refer back to from undergrad? (Algebra, Physics, Cell bio, orgo, etc?) Or do you think I should just forget them all together? (Are course books & materials alone enough?)

It would be nice to know what to take and what not to take since those books are HUGE and I want to keep my packing as light as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I am one of those nerds that did not sell books back in fear I may need them for reference later. I also took a couple of years off after graduation so I'm sure to be a little rusty in some areas. What text books did you find yourself referring back to/wishing you could refer back to from undergrad? (Algebra, Physics, Cell bio, orgo, etc?) Or do you think I should just forget them all together? (Are course books & materials alone enough?)

It would be nice to know what to take and what not to take since those books are HUGE and I want to keep my packing as light as possible.

When I went to OD school, I toted all my undergraduate notes and textbooks with me to school, all through my rotations, during my residency, and then when I moved to Las Vegas after residency.

When I moved back east, I was packing up my apartment and realized that I had NOT ONCE OPENED A SINGLE UNDERGRADUATE TEXTBOOK OR NOTEBOOK DURING MY ENTIRE TENURE IN SCHOOL!!!

As such, I THREW THEM ALL IN THE DUMPSTER with the exception of two textbooks that I paid a lot of money for. They now sit on the shelf in my office looking impressive, but still unopened for years now.

Don't waste your time or energy fretting about undergraduate notes/books.

I too have kept all my books for undergrad. I have not used one yet! lol

Sell them while your editions are still in use!!!! On that note, who would like to buy a general chem, organic chem, physics, calculus, genetics, microbio, or biochem textbook?

Four years ago I actually thought I would open up calculus and start studying it again one day...???:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:) Well I guess that settles it then. Should make packing & moving a whole lot easier!

Wait! I heard that Netter's Atlas is great for anatomy?! It's not the text used at SUNY but it was extremely useful for undergrad anatomy... and I can't imagine anatomy being very different...

:) Well I guess that settles it then. Should make packing & moving a whole lot easier!

I agree for the most part. If you have a good A & P from undergrad it might come in handy. But I can't remember when the last time i cracked open calc, chem, organic chem, physics books from undergrad.

Definitely sell them while you still can. I sold a lot of mine during undergrad on eBay. Like someone else mentioned, if you have Netter that is a great one to keep. I know here at SCO they force you to buy every single book so that's why I didn't keep any of mine from undergrad, but don't worry. You'll get everything you need once you start school!

I graduated recently, and hadnt used a single book! You'll get exactly what you need in school.

Sell them while you can :thumbup:

Wait! I heard that Netter's Atlas is great for anatomy?! It's not the text used at SUNY but it was extremely useful for undergrad anatomy... and I can't imagine anatomy being very different...

YES OMG save that Netter's Atlas if you're coming to SUNY. The professor for gross anatomy provides photocopied black and white slides (but does not provide an electronic copy) which are AWFUL TO SEE ANYTHING and we all used Netter's Atlas since most of his pictures were from there. I took pictures with my camera of pages in Netter's Atlas' we have on short term loan in the school library because I was too cheap to buy a book. But if you have one definitely hold on to it!

Also I used my gross anatomy book from undergrad for pictures, as well as my physiology book because the prof didn't present the material very well so it helped me clarify a few things and it had good pictures.

A must have for anatomy
1).Netter atlas-Netter
2).The clinical skull manual by Dr.Garlick
3).Grants dissector-Grant

Good Luck