Helping med students chose a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in a graduate career counseling class and must do a presentation (preferably interactive) of some type and I would like it to focus on methods that could help medical students find their ideal specialty based on their personalities, strengths, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of some interactive activites I could engage the class in related to this? Keep in mind these people are counselors, not medical students, however it is ok if they have to play the role of a medical student, they just won't have the knowledge or experience of a medical student.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to read Iserson's guide to getting a residency and can take some ideas from it.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Hey guys,

I am in a graduate career counseling class and must do a presentation (preferably interactive) of some type and I would like it to focus on methods that could help medical students find their ideal specialty based on their personalities, strengths, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of some interactive activites I could engage the class in related to this? Keep in mind these people are counselors, not medical students, however it is ok if they have to play the role of a medical student, they just won't have the knowledge or experience of a medical student.

Thanks!

Ooh ooh! Here's an idea! Make them stay up the night before running around the school on pointless errands. Then yell at them in the morning for not filling out a form correctly or for forgetting to make sure that all the janitors had bowel movements. Ooh! And ask them a lot of questions they can't answer and make them interview everybody who come into the school and write a report on them detailing all of the headaches or constipation they've had in the last two years.

It'll be cool.

Ooh! Oooh! And if they complain say something like, "Well, that's how we did it when i was learning to be a career counselor."