Helping the GF apply to optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorizonXP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I just recently found it. It looks like a great resource, and I'm hoping that people can help me out.

My gf is in the pre-optometry program at the University of Waterloo. She wants to continue on to optometry. However, she doesn't believe she has what it takes to get accepted into our Optometry school in Canada. Moreover, she doesn't like the idea of going to the US because she feels that it is a lot more expensive.

So she has set her sights on the UK. Now, the only reason I don't want her to go is that she'd be away from me for so long, but there's no way I'd even think of stopping her. In fact, I want to help her. So I'm trying to get together all of the information she'll need to apply to schools there as a Canadian/International student. If anyone can help in this regard, that'd be great!

My cousin is an optometrist, recently graduated from UW. She tried out doing optometry in the UK, but decided to come back after seeing how abyssmal the school and system really was. Is there any truth to this? I don't want my gf to suffer the same fate...

Finally, how do I get my gf to apply to UW? Her only reasoning for not applying is that she "knows" she won't get in. I'm telling her there's no harm in trying. How tough is it really to get in at UW? Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

im not too sure about the programs, but i know people that hold optometry degrees that are not from the US or Canada and when they return, in order to practice they have to take a post graduation program at a US school (neco i think has one). I am not sure about canada, but i do know that the scope of practice and what we learn here is much larger then in the UK.

there is nothing wrong with america! if she cant make the UK, she should apply to the US, ICO and SUNY are very close to canada and has tons of canadiens. In addition, they do not discriminate ( i dont htink) against canadiens!

You are such a good bf do be doing this for your girlfriend!! I was EXACTLY the same way about a month ago...I didn't want to apply because I had some really hard times personally about a year a go and ended up with 3 sems of really really bad grades (as in failing....but trying to get W's at this point). I wasn't going to apply to any opt schools til next year b/c I "knew" they wouldn't let me in...but thanks to him I applying this year and I'm almost done with my apps!!

He told me that even if you have a 1% chance of getting in...if you don't apply you definately have a 0% chance. Also, the absolute worst thing that will happen is that they will say no. Big deal...she still has all her limbs attached and intact ;) My first choice school is ICO and I work for 2 ICO alum right now and I am SOOOO thankful to him for his advice! You should be proud of yourself and I hope she stays close to stay around someone as thoughful as you. :)