Heme and Onc procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kahreek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you do procedures?
What are these procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you do procedures?
What are these procedures?

Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy (more and more going to radiology for this)

Lumbar punctures for intrathecal chemotherapy

That's about the extent of it.

Reactions: 1 user
People don't do hem/onc because they like procedures. And come on, is it really that hard to figure out what kind of procedures they do?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only procedure I ever do is bone marrow biopsy. And I do everything in my power to never do those. I do enough to keep my privileges to do them and farm as many out to IR as I possibly can. My office doesn't allow "conscious sedation" (which means a combination of a benzo and an opioid) because we don't have a code cart or ACLS certified RNs (or most of the docs actually). So only the straightforward ones get done by me.
Generally anxious person? IR
Low pain threshold? IR
Fatty Boombatty? IR
Too damn busy moving the rest of the meat that day? IR

I don't do LPs for IT chemo (those folks are in the hospital anyway). I haven't stuck a needle in anything else since my first year of fellowship and couldn't be happier about that.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want procedures from IM, then do pulm/cc, cards, gi. Heme/onc is not procedurally heavy.

I've always wondered whether Heme-Onc would follow interventional cards' footsteps and adopt onco-specific procedures in the future

My understanding of interventional radiology is that they developed many of the procedures now done by interventional cardiology, so I was wondering if there is any interest from oncologists in creating an interventional oncology fellowship for heme/onc people?

My understanding of interventional radiology is that they developed many of the procedures now done by interventional cardiology, so I was wondering if there is any interest from oncologists in creating an interventional oncology fellowship for heme/onc people?

No. There's no such interest

Interventional oncology is the bread and butter of interventional radiology, and can be associated with a lot of calls and evening issues. I suspect if a heme onc person want to incoporate this into his/her practice, they must do it full time and adopt a lifestyle close to a surgeons.

If you like to perform interventional oncology procedures, check out interventional radiology.

Not in Heme Onc but a friend told me procedural code reimbursement is less for bone marrow than it is for 1 Level 4 follow up visit.

He said he rather see a 15 minute follow up visit for cancer patient (level 4) visit and get paid more than a bone marrow biopsy that takes more time, more liability, and pays less.

Not in Heme Onc but a friend told me procedural code reimbursement is less for bone marrow than it is for 1 Level 4 follow up visit.

He said he rather see a 15 minute follow up visit for cancer patient (level 4) visit and get paid more than a bone marrow biopsy that takes more time, more liability, and pays less.
I don't definitively know the reimbursement but if so I'd much rather the clinic visit. I'm happy most marrows go to IR now.