Heme/onc advice for a student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

discombobulated

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm a 7th year MD/PhD student thinking about pursuing IM then heme/onc. I did cancer research during both college and grad school, although my first author papers are in pretty mediocre journals. My application is otherwise good (top 10 school, 250+ steps, honors in medicine, etc).

I'm still interested in both basic and clinical research. Should I apply exclusively to short track programs, or mix in a few categorical programs and potentially do an extra year of IM? Is it harder to match into short track programs?

I'm also aware that research is hard, and I may lose interest or not get grants. If I choose to become 100% clinical down the line (either hospital employed or PP), would the fact that I short tracked limit my opportunities? In general, is it easy to transition from academia to PP?

Thanks everyone.
 
I was in your shoes and applied almost exclusively Research Pathway, with the exception of places that didn't have a formal one in place (but that did support it). A few places didn't offer me a Research Pathway interview but did flip it to the general IM pool, so I suspect most places are similar.

As for the future, don't worry about it. I too got discouraged after a dozen or so rejected grant proposals and went FT clinical. I'm now the director of my community based "academ-ish" group.