Heme/Onc Chances and Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleblockop3

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am currently a PGY2 who just decided on hematology/oncology. I have always been on the fence between heme/onc and endo but switched last min after now realizing onc is what I truly want to do. I do not wish to take a year off and will be applying this upcoming summer.

My background
USMD from Mid tier NE program with home heme onc fellowship
STEP 1/2/3: 220/230/225

Research:
1st author poster presentation in endocrine at med school's QI presentation.
2nd author on 1 basic science/translational paper in biology in med school.
3rd author on conference presentation in bioengineering field in college

I realize I do not have any heme onc related research. Still trying to reach out to all faculty but without success so far.
I have performed well in my inpatient leukemia rotations and got to know the attendings, who will be able to write me solid LORs.

Obviously I will strive to get into the best program I can but I will be more than happy with any community program that accepts me.

List of programs I plan to apply to.
Baylor Scott White Dallas
Baylor Scott White Temple
Methodist
UT San Antonio
Penn State
Geisinger
Main Line
Tower Health
Oregon Health and Science
Northwell
Winthrop
Lenox Hill Rutgers
Rutgers
Stony Brook
Brown
Tufts
St. Elizabeth
Wake Forrest
Scripps
Loma Linda
UC Irvine
GWU
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Albert Einstein
Lehigh
Allegheny J
Jefferson

1) How competitive am I for the list of programs above?

2) Is it possible to still match without any heme onc research but with good LORs from heme onc faculty? (obviously trying to find onc research right now but just want to be realistic)

3) If I am able to get involved in heme onc research but unfortunately don't get any publications, is it still possible to match if I apply broadly?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Competitive. I don't think there is a program that you wouldn't stand a chance to interview at. OHSU, Georgetown and Jefferson are probably the most competitive on there and you probably have a shot at getting invited. Would encourage you to reach a little higher too.

2) Yes. But a lot of interviews will focus on your past/active research. Would suggest you get working on a project ASAP so that you have something to talk about interview day, I don't think many people will be impressed with your endocrine project.

3) Yes. Everything counts. Letters count. Research counts. Steps count. Medical school and residency program reputation count. No one piece is more important than another. Only the very top (i.e. top 5 places) will expect you to have perfect everything in every category.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Should I really be aiming higher though? I know heme/onc is pretty competitive to begin with. My scores are below average and I do not have any onc publications let alone research in heme onc as of yet (working on that though!) I think the only strengths I have are - research in bench work / publications in basic sciences (although unrelated field), USMD, and good relations with heme onc faculty at my program.

And yes, I do not really think people will be impressed with my 1st author endocrine QI project. I was debating on leaving that off actually.

And again, I understand if I do not match at a upper tier program because there are stronger applicants. I will be more than happy to match anywhere at a low or midtier program esp on that list if it means I can do oncology as a career.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If there's a "higher tier" place you're really interested in, what's another $30?

You'll be fine with that list, which is honestly at least twice as long as it needs to be. You would do well to either focus on a geographic region (if there's one you prefer) since your list is kind of all over the place from that perspective, or drill down more into the type of things you want from a fellowship and which places are more/less likely to give you that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If there's a "higher tier" place you're really interested in, what's another $30?

You'll be fine with that list, which is honestly at least twice as long as it needs to be. You would do well to either focus on a geographic region (if there's one you prefer) since your list is kind of all over the place from that perspective, or drill down more into the type of things you want from a fellowship and which places are more/less likely to give you that.

Those are good suggestions. I think I'll definitely limit to geography. I guess I'm just paranoid I will not match and so I've been thinking about applying to more community programs because I think my app isn't that strong.

Is there a major difference in graduating from a community program as opposed to a university program if you just want to be a community or even hybrid private practice oncologist? Like, would you get passed over from job offers based on the perceived prestige of your program? I am not planning on going into academics.

Those are good suggestions. I think I'll definitely limit to geography. I guess I'm just paranoid I will not match and so I've been thinking about applying to more community programs because I think my app isn't that strong.

Is there a major difference in graduating from a community program as opposed to a university program if you just want to be a community or even hybrid private practice oncologist? Like, would you get passed over from job offers based on the perceived prestige of your program? I am not planning on going into academics.

You should absolutely aim higher! You are an USMD, which automatically puts you at an advantage over IMG/FMGs (whether that is fair or not is a whole different discussion). Try to at least start some project before applications open and explain well in your PS why you had a late change of heart. Maybe even try to get a poster or case report in the next few months or so.

In my opinion, I do not think community heme/onc fellowship programs should exist, ALWAYS choose a university program. Albeit, there are some university programs that strongly encourage you to go into academics, however most programs will support whatever route you want to take (based on my interview experience anyways).

Heme/onc is such a dynamic and exciting field, you NEED to be in an academic/university setting during training. You can always end up in PP if you want (I think a significant proportion of fellows do)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should absolutely aim higher! You are an USMD, which automatically puts you at an advantage over IMG/FMGs (whether that is fair or not is a whole different discussion). Try to at least start some project before applications open and explain well in your PS why you had a late change of heart. Maybe even try to get a poster or case report in the next few months or so.

In my opinion, I do not think community heme/onc fellowship programs should exist, ALWAYS choose a university program. Albeit, there are some university programs that strongly encourage you to go into academics, however most programs will support whatever route you want to take (based on my interview experience anyways).

Heme/onc is such a dynamic and exciting field, you NEED to be in an academic/university setting during training. You can always end up in PP if you want (I think a significant proportion of fellows do)

Thanks! I'll be meeting with a faculty member earlier next week to discuss possible research interests. Hopefully will be able to start on a project soon. And yes I agree going to university program will probably be better while training and exposure during fellowship. I will re shape my list then. Glad I got to hear everyone's thoughts before I apply.

Would it be fine if all my letters come from oncology faculty? Or is it better that 1 comes from heme? I enjoyed my inpatient leukemia/lymphoma rotation and requested another block. But I'm wondering if it's better spent on heme for some balance.

Would it be fine if all my letters come from oncology faculty? Or is it better that 1 comes from heme? I enjoyed my inpatient leukemia/lymphoma rotation and requested another block. But I'm wondering if it's better spent on heme for some balance.

I think that will be fine. Just make sure your letter writers know you well and can write you a good, descriptive letter. I'm sure application committees can easily sense a generic, uninspired Ietter. I think quality of the letter is the most important thing

I think that will be fine. Just make sure your letter writers know you well and can write you a good, descriptive letter. I'm sure application committees can easily sense a generic, uninspired Ietter. I think quality of the letter is the most important thing

Great, I will focus on this in my upcoming heme onc rotations. Appreciate the feedback