heme/onc fellowship from a community program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumixam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've used the search function, but it wasn't super helpful. How difficult would it be for an average resident to match into a fellowship from a community program that doesn't have a heme/onc fellowship? What would one need to do during residency to make this happen?

For that matter, what about from a mid-tier program that does have an in-house program? How likely would it be for an average resident to match into an outside program, any outside program?

Obviously, we strive to be better than "average," but banking on being the best and the brightest is a bit daunting. I'm just trying to gauge the field's competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've used the search function, but it wasn't super helpful. How difficult would it be for an average resident to match into a fellowship from a community program that doesn't have a heme/onc fellowship? What would one need to do during residency to make this happen?

For that matter, what about from a mid-tier program that does have an in-house program? How likely would it be for an average resident to match into an outside program, any outside program?

Obviously, we strive to be better than "average," but banking on being the best and the brightest is a bit daunting. I'm just trying to gauge the field's competitiveness.

Matching somewhere...likely
Matching top tier...unlikely