Heme/Onc LOR question

Started by fischer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fischer

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to apply to heme/onc next year, and I have the age old question about LORs. We don't have a heme/onc fellowship program at my school unfortunately. I can get one good LOR from one of the heme/onc attendings at my institution. Where should I look to get my others? It seems like I need two heme/onc LORs- should I do any away rotation to get a LOR? Also, should I do an away rotation at a place I really, really want to go? Any input and your experiences would be helpful. And, to verify, typically need 3 LOR and PD letter, right? What about a chair letter? Does that count as one of the 3???
 
I am going to apply to heme/onc next year, and I have the age old question about LORs. We don't have a heme/onc fellowship program at my school unfortunately. I can get one good LOR from one of the heme/onc attendings at my institution. Where should I look to get my others? It seems like I need two heme/onc LORs- should I do any away rotation to get a LOR? Also, should I do an away rotation at a place I really, really want to go? Any input and your experiences would be helpful. And, to verify, typically need 3 LOR and PD letter, right? What about a chair letter? Does that count as one of the 3???

3 letters of rec and one PD letter is correct.

Like everything LOR's are subjective. You certainly need one letter from a Heme/Onc doc but after that I would focus on receiving EXCELLENT LOR vs LOR from heme/onc docs. A mediocre LOR can be more damaging than I think any of us realize. In a perfect world we would all want stellar letters from well known Heme/Onc physicians but this isn't always available; so I would focus on getting letters from docs you've worked with that know you well and will give a great recommendation.

Also, if you are interested in research you can ask some of the PI's you've worked with for a letter as well.

Hope this helps
 
Since there is no heme-onc forum by itself - not sure where to post this. How much research do you need for a good applications? Are we talking about an abstract or two? Or a few pubs in JCO? Any thoughts appreciated!