hemepath fellowships

Started by beary
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends!

I am looking for any advice on hemepath fellowships. I am starting to think about applications and I don't really even know where to start thinking about applying.

At this point I am leaning towards a one year fellowship though two of the programs I am most interested in (Michigan, my home institution, and Nebraska, my home state) are two year fellowships. *sigh*

Anyway would appreciate any thoughts or pros/cons that you could share - thanks!
 
Any 2 year fellowship (aside from np) can be converted to 1 year with board cert as far as I know.

Contact them. I did a supposedly 2 year fellowship and left after 1 year.

The 2nd year was basically a low paid (but double fellow salary) jr faculty slot.
 
I daresay the best advice I received regarding choosing a fellowship was this: you have to decide if your aim with the fellowship is primarily to gain credibility as a consultant, with perhaps 2 or three clinical publications and presentations at the end of it - or whether you are looking for a more "academic" experience. Fellowships vary greatly in their make-up, even the board certified ones. For instance, I am told that the NIH hemepath fellowship with Dr. Jaffe is largely if not entirely based on consult material.

Also think about where you want to practice - a fellowship elsewhere can help you make great strides in that direction.

Since 2-year fellowships would still be filled up to 19 months in advance, I don't know if you'd be ruffling feathers by signing on for 2 years and then leaving after the 1st. Best to make sure they know of your intentions up front (unless you don't mind ruffling feathers).

UMN has two slots, and with Dr. McKenna around it's arguably our strongest fellowship. There is talk of making the 2nd slot a 2-year position, but am not sure how far they have gotten with that.