hemophilia and injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyDufrane

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so I got asked today if its ok for a patient who had hemophilia down in PMH to proceed w/ an fluoro guided hip intraarticular injection, the patient had already had lumbar RFA in the past, this seemed like an obvious contraindication, and if not, I was not sure what one must do to do an injection safely in hemophilia patient, are there certain medications the patient should be given, Vitamin K, or frozen plasma, I know this seems like a dumb silly question
 
so I got asked today if its ok for a patient who had hemophilia down in PMH to proceed w/ an fluoro guided hip intraarticular injection, the patient had already had lumbar RFA in the past, this seemed like an obvious contraindication, and if not, I was not sure what one must do to do an injection safely in hemophilia patient, are there certain medications the patient should be given, Vitamin K, or frozen plasma, I know this seems like a dumb silly question

There are different types and different severities. A joint injection is probably ok, but you should check the their hematologist
 
so I got asked today if its ok for a patient who had hemophilia down in PMH to proceed w/ an fluoro guided hip intraarticular injection, the patient had already had lumbar RFA in the past, this seemed like an obvious contraindication, and if not, I was not sure what one must do to do an injection safely in hemophilia patient, are there certain medications the patient should be given, Vitamin K, or frozen plasma, I know this seems like a dumb silly question

There are different types and different severities. A joint injection is probably ok, but you should check with their hematologist
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you get a hemarthrosis in a hemophiliac what will stop the bleeding? Are they taking any clotting factors? Blood injections into joints is the next rage but someone with uncontrollable bleeding is another issue entirely
 
so I got asked today if its ok for a patient who had hemophilia down in PMH to proceed w/ an fluoro guided hip intraarticular injection, the patient had already had lumbar RFA in the past, this seemed like an obvious contraindication, and if not, I was not sure what one must do to do an injection safely in hemophilia patient, are there certain medications the patient should be given, Vitamin K, or frozen plasma, I know this seems like a dumb silly question


If they are Factor VIII deficient, I would give them factor before the injection much like before any surgery. IF you give them a hip hemarthrosis, you just bought them a THA, and that will have a high degree of morbidity (and mortality). Think about how much blood people lose who are NOT hemophiliacs.

If this is a lesser factor deficit, then it is less of a big deal

Get the recs from the hematologist IN WRITING before the procedure.
 
Never let the bravura of the last proceduralist give you a false sense of security.

Agree with above: hemophilia has enough variability and rarity that I would want to speak with hematology. And have a plan in place for stopping the bleeding if things go south

not "Page hematology STAT! "
 
I know this is an old thread, I myself am a severe Hemophiliac, type A Factor VIII deficient. If I were the patient, as stated above, I would simply need to prophylactically administer my Recombinant Anti-Hemophilic Factor intravenously (This is not human product, rather produced in a lab). If, however the patient had no access to Anti-Hemophilic Factor, I would consider blood transfusion. All in all, I think it would be best to consult with Hematology, as any procedure can pose exponential risks for Hemophiliac patients.