hemostasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unoriginal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any good resources (preferably online) for learning hemostasis/blood coagulation/blood clot cascades/etc? i just the BRS physiology and I can't seem to find it in there.... is this not typically included in physiology? is it biochem?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got it from the Robbins path book.

The second chapter of Robbins has the inflammation/coagulation cascades, I think. The Physiology section of First Aid has a simplified version.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a figure in BRS Pathology summarizing the coagulation cascades, and more detailed information can be found in Robbin's pathologic basis of disease (big robbins).

Hope this helps
(In terms of knowing hemostasis and coagulation for the USMLE Step 1, the information in BRS Pathology and First Aid for Step1 is probably sufficient)

unoriginal said:
anybody have any good resources (preferably online) for learning hemostasis/blood coagulation/blood clot cascades/etc? i just the BRS physiology and I can't seem to find it in there.... is this not typically included in physiology? is it biochem?

thanks

For Step 1 I remember a few questions that dealt with hemostasis, but I never had to know more than a few pieces of the puzzle. We had a hematolgist who showed us the "new" pathway that would be making it into textbooks in the next decade or so. I've never seen this "new" pathway since, but I remember it placing great importance on reactions on the surface of platelettes. But again, knowing the "new" one vs. the old one would have both been fine for Step 1.

i was actually just looking for something to supplement the hemostasis & coagulation lectures that I got in class. The lecturer ( & notes) weren't the best. thanks for the help. the website looks good... i don't have a robins book yet. it must be a good back- i hear a lot of people talking about it here on sdn.

Google for some hematology/oncology sites and they should have a plethora of information.

Clicky

Lots to be done still tho'
I guess ill be importing content for this category this week.