unoriginal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
anybody have any good resources (preferably online) for learning hemostasis/blood coagulation/blood clot cascades/etc? i just the BRS physiology and I can't seem to find it in there.... is this not typically included in physiology? is it biochem?

thanks

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
The second chapter of Robbins has the inflammation/coagulation cascades, I think. The Physiology section of First Aid has a simplified version.

About the Ads

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Chicago
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is a figure in BRS Pathology summarizing the coagulation cascades, and more detailed information can be found in Robbin's pathologic basis of disease (big robbins).

Hope this helps
(In terms of knowing hemostasis and coagulation for the USMLE Step 1, the information in BRS Pathology and First Aid for Step1 is probably sufficient)

unoriginal said:
anybody have any good resources (preferably online) for learning hemostasis/blood coagulation/blood clot cascades/etc? i just the BRS physiology and I can't seem to find it in there.... is this not typically included in physiology? is it biochem?

thanks

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
44 deg 1 min 11 sec N, 92 deg 28 min 55 sec W
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For Step 1 I remember a few questions that dealt with hemostasis, but I never had to know more than a few pieces of the puzzle. We had a hematolgist who showed us the "new" pathway that would be making it into textbooks in the next decade or so. I've never seen this "new" pathway since, but I remember it placing great importance on reactions on the surface of platelettes. But again, knowing the "new" one vs. the old one would have both been fine for Step 1.

unoriginal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i was actually just looking for something to supplement the hemostasis & coagulation lectures that I got in class. The lecturer ( & notes) weren't the best. thanks for the help. the website looks good... i don't have a robins book yet. it must be a good back- i hear a lot of people talking about it here on sdn.

beastmaster

15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
unoriginal said:
i don't have a robins book yet. it must be a good back
It's a pretty good back.

About the Ads