Hempath vs. Cytopath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiePath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now PGY-4 doing AP/CP and I am equally interested in hempath and cytopath. Does anyone have any information about the job prospects for these two subspecialties?

I'd also like to know your opinion about head and neck or oromaxillofacial fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen of job postings, it seems like those two specialties are definately advantageous to have on your resume. If you can't pick one, you could do both.

Would cyto offer a bit more flexibility in terms of job placement? It seems hemepath might be more limited to large groups or academic centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
cytoborg said:
Would cyto offer a bit more flexibility in terms of job placement? It seems hemepath might be more limited to large groups or academic centers.

I will be the third pathologist at a community hospital. I will be spitting my time between hemepath and surgpath as we will do around 300 marrows a year, plus flow.

My impression in looking for a job is that the demand for hemepath vs. cytopath depends on which area of the country you are in. The kicker is that I think there is no good way to predict. You could call groups in the areas you'd like to live and ask them which subspecialty they'd prefer.

When I picked a fellowship, I chose hemepath because I enjoy it and I think that it might insulate me from having to do many pap smears. (I am haunted by the image of thousands of pap smears sitting in a file for 20 years waiting for one of those women to get cervical cancer.)

Ryan

Thank you for the insight, Ryan. I concur on the Paps!

Dont even make me bust out the BFGs: Cyto vs. Heme? Pleassseeee. Heme all the way. Unless of course you want to be the pap smear bitch making 5 dollahs a slide and have the chance of jail time looming over your head because your crack head cytotech smoked a bowl before coming to work to read out and missed 5 HGSILs! Yeeehhaaa

My list:
1.) Derm Derm Derm
2.) Heme
3.) GI
4.) GU

That is all.

Youre so money and you dont even know it.
But if you wanna be a big money baller think outside the box: NHS Fellowship in England, Onc Path at Sloan Kettering, Combined Surgpath and Cyto at UCSD if you have to do cyto would be 3 interesting ideas. Be different FFS.

LADoc00 said:
Dont even make me bust out the BFGs: Cyto vs. Heme? Pleassseeee. Heme all the way. Unless of course you want to be the pap smear bitch making 5 dollahs a slide and have the chance of jail time looming over your head because your crack head cytotech smoked a bowl before coming to work to read out and missed 5 HGSILs! Yeeehhaaa

My list:
1.) Derm Derm Derm
2.) Heme
3.) GI
4.) GU

That is all.

Youre so money and you dont even know it.
But if you wanna be a big money baller think outside the box: NHS Fellowship in England, Onc Path at Sloan Kettering, Combined Surgpath and Cyto at UCSD if you have to do cyto would be 3 interesting ideas. Be different FFS.
I, too, think the litigation issue is a turn off when considering cytopath. But I didn't know that Onc path at Sloan Kettering is so cool. What about M.D. Anderson? I got a shot for a position there.

DiePath said:
I, too, think the litigation issue is a turn off when considering cytopath. But I didn't know that Onc path at Sloan Kettering is so cool. What about M.D. Anderson? I got a shot for a position there.

You want one (albeit astronomically brilliant) man's opinion? Sloan will open more doors, period. Texas is one of those places that people love or hate. Very little in between. If you want to stay the rest of your life in North TX then by all means. SKMCC is the bomb anywhere. Heck Im thinking of even doing it just to create the ultimate CV since Im single atm and only 30.

LADoc00 said:
Heck Im thinking of even doing it just to create the ultimate CV since Im single atm and only 30.

If you're only 30, when did you finish residency?

Doctor B. said:
If you're only 30, when did you finish residency?

He may have been one of those super smart kids that skipped a bunch of grades and went to college in his early teenage years (?).

AndyMilonakis said:
He may have been one of those super smart kids that skipped a bunch of grades and went to college in his early teenage years (?).

sort of

AndyMilonakis said:

That would explain his lack of social skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
No flaming other users please, unless they don't mind.

Agreed. But I have a hunch that LADoc00 got some thick skin. I figure...if you're gonna dish it...you gots to be able to take it too :).

AndyMilonakis said:
Agreed. But I have a hunch that LADoc00 got some thick skin. I figure...if you're gonna dish it...you gots to be able to take it too :).
Thus was said at the beginning of every flame war...

And we are SO off-topic.

NKcells said:
That would explain his lack of social skills.

Dont make me flail you with a placenta! Im "Old School"and not above hazing. That quote is gonna put you on bowl cleaning duty for a month. In fact, tell me what program you get into so I can have the surg path director preorder your white coat with "Bowl Bitch" already on it. :laugh:

*whip crack*

deschutes said:
I call your bluff - evidently you can still type!

I am dictating to an attractive lingerie model/administrative assistant who also happens to be able to type 150 WPM.

Unbidden, the image of Stephen Hawking came to mind.

Lingerie models and transcriptionists beat voice-recognition software any day, wouldn't you say?

wow this thread is totally derailed! :D

i think heme path and cytopath are cool.