Henry Ford vs Beaumont Royal Oak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CranioScrotal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input about either of these programs? I've read all related forum posts about each but programs change over time and I would like some recent thoughts of them if possible. I applied IR and DR and liked both programs a lot, but can't decide which to rank first. I plan on going into IR if I'm able. I would like to stay in MI so these are my top contenders (U of M isn't an option). The residents made both programs sound great at the dinners and interview days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Would also appreciate thoughts on these two programs.

Bump. Would also appreciate thoughts on these two programs.

I also asked this question over at auntminnie in the med student forum and got a lot of good responses. I'd go there and check that out. Hopefully some residents/applicants/attendings offer more insight on this forum though. Good luck in the upcoming match (even though we are probably competing for the same spots haha)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at one of these programs. FYI, I ranked my program #1 over "top 20" programs for personal reasons (family, etc.).

They are very similar programs. Semi-academic. You will come out with similar training. Beaumont is a nice hospital (hotel) in the suburbs while HF is in the middle of Detroit. They both have incorporated TY programs (Beaumont's is admittedly easier). They both offer moonlighting starting R1/R2 resulting in 20k+ in extra income. They both have excellent fellowship matches.

Bottom line: choose based on where you felt more comfortable on interview day.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

I am at one of these programs. FYI, I ranked my program #1 over "top 20" programs for personal reasons (family, etc.).

They are very similar programs. Semi-academic. You will come out with similar training. Beaumont is a nice hospital (hotel) in the suburbs while HF is in the middle of Detroit. They both have incorporated TY programs (Beaumont's is admittedly easier). They both offer moonlighting starting R1/R2 resulting in 20k+ in extra income. They both have excellent fellowship matches.

20k in moonlighting? Is that all cash equivalent or "book money"?

I'd PM you, but chances are I'm not alone to be intrigued by this.

20k in moonlighting? Is that all cash equivalent or "book money"?

I'd PM you, but chances are I'm not alone to be intrigued by this.

lol...I don't want to devalue these program's worth by emphasizing moonlighting opportunities. Yes, you can make six figures at these programs if you are willing to take on shifts. To be honest, moonlighting is not very important in the grand scheme of things.

I had heard previously about HF having ample and early moonlighting opportunities but not beaumont. Could you expound on that? As someone married with kids it's something I'm looking at.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had heard previously about HF having ample and early moonlighting opportunities but not beaumont. Could you expound on that? As someone married with kids it's something I'm looking at.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Henry Ford has paid (required) call. You get paid for the hours worked doing long call (evening shift). Beaumont has internal and external moonlighting babysitting (contrast reaction) and reading shifts. AFAIK the pay is between $50-75/hr depending on what type of shift you are doing. Essentially, if you do 8 extra shifts a month, you will double your base salary (that's overkill and may not be feasible because shifts have to be fairly divided among residents). Also, senior residents have priority and you may not be able to take many shifts as a junior resident. There are programs in the Midwest that have similar moonlighting opportunities.

Take this with a grain of salt. Program policy regarding moonlighting changes all of the time. These opportunities could evaporate in the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Moonlighting matters if it’s final reads and high volume. It makes you attractive to private practices. Contrast coverage moonlighting is just convenient.

hey @Chemdude, not sure if youre still out there but just wanted to bump this thread as I try to look at these programs. any regret over choosing your program over "top 20s"? also, do you feel like your education suffers with these programs being semi-academic, especially in comparison to bigger names? thanks

Sorry for late reply. I rarely check SDN nowadays. I'm definitely happy with my decision. I should be clear that I didn't choose Beaumont for moonlighting. I chose it because it's a solid program near home. The training here is excellent. Beaumont is a huge tertiary hospital. It's one of the biggest health systems in the country. Our case volume is massive. Most of our attendings are excellent radiologists.

As for the moonlighting, we do contrast coverage and reading shifts. The reading shifts are invaluable. I've only done a couple of reading shifts as an R1. I've learned so much from the limited moonlighting reading experience I have. A couple of my R1 classmates are on track to making $15-20K extra this year. The seniors can double their salary if they moonlight ~20 hrs/week. Beaumont is more than just a great place to moonlight; it's also a solid program. A hidden gem imo.

As a side note when I interviewed at Loyola (in Chicago) years ago the assistant PD told to the group of applicants about the importance of going to an academic program but also added "or a place like Beaumont, which is a great program".