Henry Ford vs Kresge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siriusOp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these are two very different programs. I'm having difficulty deciding on the 2. I understand henry ford has better surgical numbers but kresge has the reputation + in house call. Can we get a healthy discussion about these 2 programs

Members don't see this ad.

I know these are two very different programs. I'm having difficulty deciding on the 2. I understand henry ford has better surgical numbers but kresge has the reputation + in house call. Can we get a healthy discussion about these 2 programs

Both in Detroit. Nuff said. :)

both are very strong programs with great inner city training and great fellowship placement. Kresge has a lot of big names in retina and is very retina heavy (if that is of interest to you). Go where you think you would be happier. You would come out a great ophthalmologist either way

Members don't see this ad :)
both are very strong programs with great inner city training and great fellowship placement. Kresge has a lot of big names in retina and is very retina heavy (if that is of interest to you). Go where you think you would be happier. You would come out a great ophthalmologist either way

lol...big names in retina yet they never/rarely match their own into the retina program.

lol...big names in retina yet they never/rarely match their own into the retina program.

Yeah, they send them off to other great programs. I'm not certain I'd want to do my fellowship at the same place I did my residency. Kresge certainly has a top notch retina fellowship though, few can argue against that.

Yeah, they send them off to other great programs. I'm not certain I'd want to do my fellowship at the same place I did my residency. Kresge certainly has a top notch retina fellowship though, few can argue against that.

Agree, most of the better places want their residents to go off elsewhere. It spreads their name around and broadens your training. Inbreeding is not ideal.

Agree, most of the better places want their residents to go off elsewhere. It spreads their name around and broadens your training. Inbreeding is not ideal.

Lol...tell that to Wilmer, (M)ass Eye and Ear, Bascom. No they NEVER take their own (sarcasm...sometimes that's all they ever take).

To the extruded buckle:
(M)ass Eye and Ear? You don't strike me as the type of applicant who could match there anyway! :rolleyes:

To the OP:
Kresge has a great reputation in ophthalmology. I would personally rank them higher unless there were some red flags during the interview....As far as the retina program not keeping their own applicants, you probably wouldn't want to stay in Detroit after 3 yrs anyway....Good luck! :luck:

To the extruded buckle:
(M)ass Eye and Ear? You don't strike me as the type of applicant who could match there anyway! :rolleyes:

To the OP:
Kresge has a great reputation in ophthalmology. I would personally rank them higher unless there were some red flags during the interview....As far as the retina program not keeping their own applicants, you probably wouldn't want to stay in Detroit after 3 yrs anyway....Good luck! :luck:

Wanna bet honey buns?

Kresge is a strong program and has the advantage of a university affiliation over Ford.

Kresge has done very well in placing their residents in top fellowships: Bascom, Moorfields, Wilmer, and others. They have done this for many years now.

Kresge has had an active bench research department, as you would expect in a real "institute," again, a demonstration of their commitment to the broader aspects of research and training.

Did a rotation at both a few years ago.

Both were very good programs but just different. I overall liked the atmosphere at HF better. Nothing against Kresge but they were just very busy (>100 pts at one monday walk-in clinic). Thought it was just trying to get them out the door at that point. The attendings were a bit less approachable and less available at Kresge as well. But the attendings are very well known at Kresge and I think it would place you well for a fellowship.

At HF, the residents all seemed very happy and seemed like a great atmosphere to work in. They all matched very well for fellowships and many also just went into private practice, which spoke for their comfort level coming out of residency. In addition, HF is financially very well off (unlike the other Detroit hospitals). HF does not have strong basic science research but seemed to have plenty of clinical research opportunities.

I interviewed at all michigan programs and ended up ranking HF>Mich>Kresge>Beaumont. But thats just me.

Both are great programs. Don't be discouraged by insecure posters who like to spend their time flaunting their credentials on an online forum. Rank by how you think you will fit in with the program.