Hepatitis and Joint Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxpmoney36xx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently encountered a question describing a man with hepatitis B and he had joint pain. They asked what immunologic damage was done to the joints. The options from what I recall are as follows...
a)Cytotoxic
b)Type II Hypersensativity
c)Complement
d)Eosinophillic

Can someone help me with this?

Also why in normal viral prodrome symptoms do we get myalgia or joint pains in general? i know the other symptoms such as fever chills are due to inflammatory cytokines... but what about joint pains? Any explaination on this basic principle would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I recently encountered a question describing a man with hepatitis B and he had joint pain. They asked what immunologic damage was done to the joints. The options from what I recall are as follows...
a)Cytotoxic
b)Type II Hypersensativity
c)Complement
d)Eosinophillic

Can someone help me with this?

Also why in normal viral prodrome symptoms do we get myalgia or joint pains in general? i know the other symptoms such as fever chills are due to inflammatory cytokines... but what about joint pains? Any explaination on this basic principle would be greatly appreciated!

Was the answer C?

You get a type III hypersensitivity response, the antibody-hep B antigen complex deposits into your joints, complement gets activated, induces an inflammatory response and you get arthritis.

Antigen-antibody complexes may also cause damage to the kidney as in post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, a type III hypersensitivity.

Reactions: 1 user