Hepatology after fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dblue10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I had a couple questions. How much of private practice entails both outpatient and inpatient Hepatology? And is there a sense of what fraction of transplant positions go unfilled each year? I can’t find this data on ERAS or AASLD websites.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Inpatient hepatology probably exists only in large university based practice. If you are doing transplant, you can find list of all transplant centers statewide and check for openings there. You will have largely outpatient practice with call every few days or a week at a time(depending on the center). Outside of transplant centers, a true hepatologist need is less, so you will see a blend of general GI and liver stuff.

AASLD doesn't officially release data on this but about 25% spots go unfilled usually.

Reactions: 1 user
Inpatient hepatology probably exists only in large university based practice. If you are doing transplant, you can find list of all transplant centers statewide and check for openings there. You will have largely outpatient practice with call every few days or a week at a time(depending on the center). Outside of transplant centers, a true hepatologist need is less, so you will see a blend of general GI and liver stuff.

AASLD doesn't officially release data on this but about 25% spots go unfilled usually.

Thank you! I've been rethinking transplant because of hepatology itself and the care of cirrhotic patients but am wary of being tied down to transplant/transplant center. I'm currently at a transplant center and get to manage cirrhotics pre-transplant as an outpatient. Does anyone have a sense of if in private practice, is there a good fraction of time spent on management of these patients or generally working up someone's acute/chronic liver disease? Obviously every practice/geography is a different.
Thanks in advance.

I'm in fellowship, curious to know this as well. What I've seen is that local docs manage until they are too complex/ decompensated or MELD>15 and then turf to our transplant team. Some of these patients will have fairly complex liver issues that have been worked up an managed often for years by some of the community guys, and I'm often impressed- in good and bad ways, sometimes these folks are the only GI doc in a small community, and they have to take everyone. Curious to see how its done elsewhere.