Here are my stats...what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvp44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of you are probably sick of questions like "what are my chances," and "should I do this, or should I do that." Nonetheless, that's what this network is for, so here goes...

I just graduated, after five years, with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in Chemistry. I'm one of those "reformed" students who went from making less than mediocre grades to making good grades. Here's the breakdown of my GPA, per semester:

Fall 1998: 2.8
Spring 1999: 2.8
Fall 1999: 2.2
Spring 2000: 2.8
Fall 2000: 3.8
Spring 2001: 3.8
Fall 2001: 4.0
Spring 2002: 4.0
Fall 2002: 4.0
Spring 2003: 4.0

Here were some of the important classes I took during my PRE-reformed years and the corresponding grades:

Gen Chem I: B
Gen Chem II: B
Pre-Calc: D
Calc I: D
Cell Biology: C
Genetics: C
Organic I: D, retook and made a B

In the summer between my bad and good years, I took Physics I and Organic II, and made an A in both.

Some of the upper-level science courses I made A's in during my last years were Physics II (during a summer), Human Anatomy, Immunology, Pathogenic Bacteriology, Quantative Analysis, Human Physiology, Intro to Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Virology, etc. and I retook Calc I and made an A and took Calc II and made an A.

So, when I graduated, my cumulative GPA ended up being a 3.449.

As far as ECs, I've been volunteering at the local hospital, a clinic for mentally ******ed children, and for Habitat. I was a member of some clubs and an active officer in one. I did some independent research during the last year of undergraduate, but nothing big. I'm going to start shadowing in a couple of weeks, which I've never done before. Overall, I feel like my ECs are lacking, especially since I started most of them during my last year of undergraduate. But one good thing is that I'll be joining AmeriCorps this year, which is full time for an entire year. It's not health-related; I'll be working with "at risk" kids.

So, that's my info in a nutshell. I'll be taking the MCAT this April, and will be applying to med school next summer, or the next, depending on what I do in between. The main concerns I have about my record are my extremely bad grades in some of the most important pre-reqs, having taken many of the pre-reqs during the summer, my mediocre cumulative GPA, and the fact that I graduated from a "no-name" school.

I have my own ideas on what I should do next, but I wanted to hear what you all thought about my situation. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or comments, but don't be too cruel...I'm new here.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I think your application should be fine. I know plenty of people with stats worse than yours who are now medical students.

I did americorps and had a blast -good luck with it.
Now you just need to do well on the MCAT.

Your turnaround is extremely impressive, and the fact that you got good grades in upper-level science courses shows that you can do the work. Americorps is a fantastic thing to get involved in - that will make a really positive impression.

I don't see any reason why you can't apply next year. Be sure to do well on the MCAT - that will dispel any doubts anyone might have about the grades you got in the prereqs. You'll have great material from your Americorps experience to write about in your PS.

Just be sure you've done sufficient shadowing to be able to say convincingly, "I know this is what I want."

Honestly, you sound good to go; if I were evaluating your application (I've been on my school's AdCom) I would certainly have a favorable response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your ap looks quite strong. Your performance in the past three years is very impressive, and you've shown you can sustain it, which should take care of any lingering doubts in the minds of admissions officers. How you do on the MCAT will be important, esp. since you are coming from a "no-name" school. As long as you do well, I don't see why you wouldn't have a good shot at many medical schools.

from the admissions committee people i've talked to, your app looks very strong. the less than stellar early gpa's are more than made up for with your turnaround. do well on the mcat (i hear the magic number is 30 most places...if you have more than that, they like you better ;) ) so yeah, good luck :)

I am impressed by the upward trend. I think you have a strong app. You will be fine. Do well on the MCAT, and good luck. Welcome to SDN.

You have an awesome upward trend... I think you have a good shot at getting in. Good luck!

First of all, thanks to all who replied.

I'm pretty surprised that everyone thinks I would be a competitive applicant despite having done bad during two of the most crucial years of undergraduate. Maybe those who had negative comments decided not to post since I said not to be too cruel.

I am extremely surprised no one mentioned anything about entering a post-bac program or getting a Masters before applying to med school -- because as of now, those are my plans. After the AmeriCorps program, I'm planning on getting my Masters, and then applying to med school. I was looking into some of the "special" masters programs offered by certain schools, which are designed for people who need to strengthen their academic record. Another option was to get a traditional masters at a school that has an affiliated med school, since having ties with faculty at a school with a med school can't hurt. (Btw, mamadoc, which school did you say you were with? ;) )

So, do you think getting a masters is a good idea, or completely unneccesary. Keep in mind that I haven't applied this summer, so I'll have another free year after AmeriCorps regardless of whether or not I get my masters, and that if I enter a special one year masters program, I could finish that during that lag year.

I'd greatly appreciate anybody's response.

:cool:

mvp44,

I have a very similar situation. My first two years I had a 3.0, the last two I had a 3.9. I took the MCAT and got a 29R (missed the 30 by one point!!! dammit!). Anyway, I was sure I was going to do a post bac and retake the MCAT. Especially with the scores I read on this board. However, after talking to admissions deans at numerous schools (Columbia, Albert Einstein, Stanford, UCSD, UCSF, etc.) I have been advised time and time again to apply as is....and NOW. I should mention that I have good EC's (as do most applicants) and I am not URM. I am hesitant but I decided to send in my AMCAS (tomorrow actually) and just give it a shot. As long as you do well on the MCAT (29-30 is avg. accepted) I think you have a chance. The Stanford guy was helpful and told me that I had already proven my academic capabilities, a post bac would just prove it further, but why waste my time (and $).

My advice is, call some admissions offices. Right now things are slow for them, so call them up and most will be happy to meet with you and discuss your application.

Good luck!
~chapinsita

I second that...

I am in the same boat. I had a 3.0 after my first two years (I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life). After my sophomore year I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine. I have had two years of 4.0 since then (counting 1.5 summers...the last .5 pending...) and have brought my GPA up to a 3.53. Despite my poor cumm GPA, everyone I have been in contact with has been VERY positive about my chances. Who knows what will happen, but I get the impression that you should be in pretty good shape. Best of luck to you!