Here is my scenario?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Crystal Meth

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I originally posted this in the post-bacc area.

I graduated from Stanford last year with a 3.1gpa in physics and a minor in biology. I took the aug 03 mcat and scored a 11v/10b/10p - S. I have done 4 years of research in physics and biology off and on, though I have no publications. I have shadowed, volunteered, etc.

I had several interviews last year, all late in the cycle, and I was not accepted (waitlisted, rejected).

I am post baccing in August, and I feel that I can move my gpa up by .2overall and .25 in the sciences.

I want to go to medical school this application cycle. Will medical schools see that I'm doing a post-bacc and give me a chance (especially post January when they get my new grades)? 1 medical school I really don't want to go to (and so I aks them all my dumb questions) said they would most likely not accept me this applicatoin cycle b/c by the time I'm a proven academic candidate, their class will most likely be full.

My gpa come January would be a 3.22 and come June it'd be a 3.31 if I got straight A's.
 
Mr Reddly said:
I just 😍 their comment... 3.1 from S and a 31 to boot != proven academic candidate? WTF?


Academics are great and may be a cutoff with a lot of schools, however, with a 31 and a 3.1 from Stanford, you have to look at other things. Do you have quality interpersonal skills? There is a lot more to being a doctor or getting into medical school than just what your GPA and MCAT show. Keep that in mind. Try to do more to become a better person and build some character. The best doctor is not necessarily the one with the best MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Allygator beat me to my post -- you need to look at other things on your app - with a 3.1 (did you have an upward trend? is there a bad term in there responsible for the drop that you could explain in your PS?) and a 31, a couple things come to mind. What kind of schools did you apply to last cycle? If you applied to top schools, or mostly Cali schools, a 3.1 may not be academically competetive. If you try applying to a wider variety you might have better luck. Also, have you had other people read and critique your PS? I think the PS can make or break you if you have 1 borderline part of your app.

Don't give up though, when your postbac grades come out, send them out immediately with a letter of update to your schools. Good luck!
 
when you say you are "post-baccing in august", what do you mean? you will complete your post-bac by august or start it?

I think 3.1 is very marginal. 3.5 is the average of matriculants, right. But if you have some post-bac grades posted in your app this cycle, that will help a great deal, hence my question above. If you are only starting your post-bac I advise you wait til the 2006 cycle, otherwise you will be wasting your time and $$.

Also you mentioned late interviews and an august 2003 mcat. That means you applied late. That definitely hurts marginal applicants. Whenever you apply, do it early!

peace and good luck 🙂
~sunflower